Friday, August 12, 2011

Like, Oh My Gosh!!! It's Ryan!!!

Okay, that's not an actual quote, but that's about how head-over-heels my girls are for the newest addition to our household. Jim's nephew, Ryan, has moved in with us for at least this next school year and we're hoping for longer. He is 17 and a senior in high school this year. He got here Thursday afternoon and we've been busy ever since taking care of a few things: Scouting, finding a job, registering for school, etc.
The girls are really excited to have him here. He chases them all over the house, he plays video games with them, he puts them on his back and does push ups...like I said, it's pretty great. We've made a few adjustments in our house. I spent last week cleaning out my "stash and dash" room and gathering some bedroom furniture (gotta love Craigslist). We also shortened the table and pulled it out so that we fit all around it.

A few days ago, while doing Miriam's hair, she asked if she could get big muscles in her arms. I explained that she could exercise and her muscles would get strong, but they wouldn't stick out really big. I said that boys and girls are made differently and girls' muscles don't stick out as much as boys'. She said she knew the difference between boys and girls and I asked what it was. She explained that boys like boy colors and girls like girl colors. And there it is folks: the difference between boys and girls.

Jokes aside, we have had some discussions about privacy rules, knocking on closed doors, closing the door when in the bathroom, and not running out of your room n@ked!!! It should be good for the girls to have a big-brother type around. He's old enough to tease them, but not torment them too much. He's really good with all of them. We're all really happy he's with us.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so glad he is there and getting settled. I'm sure it will be a good arrangement. Your girls are so lucky to have a surrogate big brother too. :)

Tasha said...

You kept talking about a "Ryan" and I knew I must have missed something so I had to backtrack to see what post I had missed. That is exciting and so great that he is so good with your girls :)