Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back to School Night

Jim and I went to Ryan's Back to School Night.  We went to all his classes and met the teachers and heard a quick overview of each class.  It brought back some major flashbacks for me.  Being on campus and seeing and hearing teenagers just brought back so many memories of all the dumb, stupid, ridiculous things that I saw, heard and said in high school.  And we thought we were so funny.

Then I almost laughed out loud when I saw his math teacher.  This is probably her first or second year out of college.  She looked so young.  It brought back memories of my first teaching job right out of college.  I was teaching Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus to a bunch of juniors and seniors.  I lied to my kids and told them I was 23 instead of 21 (I know, big difference) and I also didn't tell them that it was my first job (although they probably guessed it was).

One time, my TA was sitting at my desk working and I was standing next to the desk when someone walked in and they didn't know I was the teacher.  I felt much more comfortable when I taught eighth grade at the junior high and there was a bigger age difference.  Here is my school picture just 6 months after I taught at the high school!
I still think it would be fun to teach again, but I can't decide if I would like to do high school or junior high.  But let's be realistic...I'll probably just take whatever I can get when it comes right down to it!!

6 comments:

K.A.M. said...

I love that story! You have really good youthful skin so I could see how they would think you were still in H.S. :)

Tasha said...

Funny. Do you think you will go back and teach as your kids get older? Tanner had a sub-teacher for the first 6 weeks of school and she was so young too. It made me smile when I first met her as well. (She is credentialed she just can't get a solid job so has to sub for now) But, teaching Elementary school it is easier to be young because you still seem really old to them!

Shannon said...

You were SO young when you were teaching HS! I don't particularly envy you having to spend time at the high school now, although your girls will definitely benefit from the experience you are having with Ryan. Also, I love your school picture. You are so pretty. :)

elizabeth said...

Pick middle school ;-) You can handle them and you will love you!! True, pick what you can get, but I bet you can get . . . middle school ;-) I was telling that story to my student teacher the other day, but I told her you were 22. I'll have to amend it. I forgot you were only 21. Geesh!! No wonder you had two children, were YW president and at girl's camp on your 25th B-day. . .tee-hee-hee!! Poor thing!!

Kate said...

Wow Joy you are amazing! I truly felt too young to teach elementary school after I finished my student teaching at 22. I can't imagine teaching high school! Love your picture :)

Amy said...

Funny, funny. Mine was a little worse--I was mistaken for a fifth grader when I was teaching first grade in Santaquin. I've always looked way younger than I am, but fifth graders are 10 and 11 and I was 23 or 24 at that point. Oh well!