Yikes! It's been almost 10 days since I last posted. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time blogging this month. We've pretty much been doing the same old thing every day and every weekend. But I know I'll be disappointed if that's all I write about, so here's my effort at some detail. I think I'm going to go by child today....starting with Liz.
Liz has had a great couple weeks. She is working so hard on many things right now. First, we are still reading the Book of Mormon diligently. Before the new year, we didn't read as much on the weekends or even Fridays, but we're to the point where it has to be a chapter a day or we won't finish in time and she is really good about reading her chapter every day. I've fallen behind a few times, but have managed to stay caught up for the most part. We are just starting the book of Alma.
Liz's teacher invited the kids with summer birthdays to celebrate their birthdays during the next month or two. We went back and forth over what to bring in to share, but finally compromised on cupcakes frosted like a cake. She wanted to trick her class. The funny part was that Ryan really was fooled!
Liz is also doing a great job in her writing at school. I love working with her and helping her understand what all these new words mean and helping her learn how to write about what she has read. She's doing well in all her subjects at school. I help her class when they go to the computer lab each week and it is fun to visit and observe. She colored this dragon beautifully for the Chinese New Year and went around saying "Gung Hay Fat Choy" for days. My little colorist! She is also still working hard in piano each week and improving so much.
Miriam lost her first tooth this morning!!! She has waited so long and was super excited. Yesterday, she could push it so far down, that the bottom sharp part of her tooth showed. When I picked her up from school, the first words out of her mouth were, "I have vampire teeth!" Then they decided to call her 'Sharp Tooth'. Now she just has a hole in her head. But it's pretty darn cute.
Miriam is also the hula hooping queen. I'm serious, she has skillz. She hula hoops at school all the time and non-stop at home. She'll be hula hooping while watching TV. At school she can do it with two! At home, she has mastered the skill of going down on her knees while still hula hooping, then standing up again. She can also move it up and hula hoop around her neck and then bring it back down to her waist. It's so fun to watch her and cracks me up.
Miriam has also discovered the world of 'trading' on Webkinz and has amassed quite a collection of virtual items with all her little online friends. Ever the social butterfly.
Rachel is my little buddy still. She always wants to help when I am making dinner, but she is specific in her request, "Can I help with the food?" She doesn't like being pawned off on setting the table, but sometimes that's what has to be done. The other day, I specifically picked up some Jiffy muffin mix so she could help me with the food.
Her latest trick is turning her little suitcase into a sleigh by pulling the handle out long and hooking up her stuffed dragon or doggie to the front. She then loads the suitcase with various items and pulls her 'sleigh'. It keeps her entertained for long periods of time.
Rachel is also having a lot of fun at school. Her teacher tells me that she is very intense on whatever activity she is doing. She gives it her full attention and is not easily distracted from it. They are learning about different kinds of weather: rain, snow, wind, clouds, sun, etc. One day I came into her class and they had a bin full of little plastic figurines of animals that live in the snow (penguins, polar bears, arctic rabbits, foxes, etc.) along with several large chunks of ice and silvery tinsel. Rachel had been playing with the animals and the ice. When I asked her about it, she told me she had fun playing with the ice and that it was cold and wet. They also have a little kid size hat stand with hats and scarves and a bunch of mittens they use for dress up. They are finishing the unit this week with a snow day at school! They are trucking in a load of snow for the kids to play on tomorrow. I hope the weather doesn't get too warm today and tomorrow!
As for the rest of us, Ryan is busy trying to finish up his classes for the semester. Finals are this week and he looks to be on track for passing all of his classes. He will still have a full schedule next semester, which is a bummer for him, but at least he'll be able to graduate. With his birthday coming up next month, he's starting to realize that it's time to grow up and that his days of carefree, fun summers are behind him. Jim has had a busy month also with a week long trip to PAX River, MD and another week long trip to San Diego. We've managed to survive without him, but we're always glad when he comes home.
I've been busy with all the above. I gained another piano student last week and am up to four (plus Liz and Miriam). I am also tutoring about once a week. I am working very hard on my health these days too. Jules' wedding is the big incentive in June, but I think it will take me the whole year to get where I really want to be. Shannon and I are using an online program to track our food, exercise and weight. It's a great program and it's fun doing with Shannon. It's also really helped me control my blood sugars, which were very out of control. I have also found some walking buddies and that's been good for me too. So the days are busy and go by quickly, but they are full of good things.
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Yea!! for working on your health and getting your blood sugar in control. That's music to a mom and dad's ears ;-) Love hearing about all the news. Can't believe Mimi lost a tooth. . I didn't even get a phone call. What's up with that?? Tell Mimi Grandma B likes to hear about this things first hand ;-) Love you all and so glad to read your blog. Rachel looks so grown up there helping with the "food". I miss those girls and need a hug!
Post a Comment