Monday, July 27, 2009

Sisters' Retreat!!!

And no, I don't mean "run away".....oh wait, that's exactly what I mean!!! We had a great time when we "ran away" for a weekend to St. George. I drove down to my mom's on Thursday night and Friday morning, Jules, Mom and I headed up the I-15. We met Shannon and Melanie at the Crystal Inn. We hung out in our room for a bit and played Bananagrams (seriously fun). Then we went out to Cafe Rio for dinner. (Can you say "yum"?) We rented the first season of Arrested Development and did some shopping at Old Navy.
Getting caught up and checking out Mel's wedding book!!!
Getting our "word" on with some Bananagrams.

Saturday we hit the outlet stores and spent our wad. I found some great deals at Shade, The Children's Place, and the Osh Kosh Store. We shared an apple at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and enjoyed the day of shopping without children. :) That afternoon we tried to cool off with a swim, but it was still too hot! We went and saw "My Sister's Keeper" and had a good cry and then went to Chili's for dinner.

Sunday we headed out to Zion so Mom could add to her pottery set. She found what she wanted and we had a good time poking about in the little shops there. I found some fun souveniers for the girls (a rock collection) and we all enjoyed some treats at the fun candy store. We had a very silly lunch at the Pioneer Lodge too. Before heading back, we stopped to check out a location for next year's trip!!!
Mom's new platter.
Some wierd bronze ram that needed to be in a picture.
Lounging around after Zion.

We were pooped from the heat and walking and shopping and eating, so we took it easy that afternoon. I managed to read and finish my book that weekend. Some swam, some slept, some read....life was good. We got a pizza and cheese bread from Papa Johns for dinner and ate inbetween games of Bananagrams. Then we headed out to find some ice cream and were eventually successful in locating an open Baskin Robbin. We finished watching all but one episode of Arrested Development before we decided we were too tired.

Monday morning, we got up, packed up and headed our separate ways. Jules and I down to So Cal and the rest up to Salt Lake and Idaho. Unfortunately, Shannon's car had some troubles and they were stuck for most of the day. Jules and I had a pleasant drive and made good time. I finally got home to my house by about 4pm.

Let me just say that it was a great weekend with my sisters and my mom. We had a blast. Thanks to Shannon for planning it and making it happen and thanks to Mom for subsidizing the trip, we all really appreciate it!!!


Jim and the girls managed to survive four whole days without me. Jim learned a new appreciation for my daily life and Rachel decided that she loves Daddy best. (I had to bribe her to come to me.) The big girls loved their treats and surprises and clothes. Jim also loved his surprise: my dad had washed and waxed his car, he also got the dent out of the door!!!! And I loved my surprise: coming home to a clean house.

6 comments:

Gwen said...

What a fun idea! I'm glad you had such a great time. Every mom deserves a "retreat" every now and then :) And I'm SUPER impressed your house was clean when you got home. That WOULD be the best suprise for me if Greg was left in charge for 4 days!!!

Shannon said...

Yay! It was such a fun time. I'm so glad that we did it. It seems like with everyone all spread out we are never all together anymore. What happened to all the silly face pictures? Were those on Jules' camera? I am so glad that you were able to get home quickly (and before major traffic) and to a clean house no less! Hope things are settling right back in and that you are feeling better.

jilljohnson said...

I am glad that you all had a good time. I agree sister/mom get aways are a must we just had our first and it is now going to be a yearly thing.

Mom said...

Great pictures Joy!! Jim sounds like he managed just great!! It was sooo fun being together and just hanging like the good old days. I loved bananagrams too. But now Weston has Zingo all set up, so I must go!! Give love and kisses to those girls for me!!

Tasha said...

Seriously, I am jealous! I want a sisters retreat. Maybe this winter or next summer!!! I would even be willing to do it with the babies. What fun! Go Shannon on planning it :)

Amy said...

Why do I have only brothers?