Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Millions of Peaches


Well, it seemed like millions of peaches to us! Our RS had a "Peach Extravaganza" on Saturday. We learned how to can peaches and we made fresh peach pie. They also went out to Antelope Valley earlier in the week to buy the peaches in bulk and let us put in orders. I bought two 'lugs' of peaches. Each lug is 25 lbs...it was a lot of peaches. My friend also ordered some peaches and we made plans to can them all together.

Monday morning, after we dropped Lizzie off at school, the little girls and I went to Tara's house and started canning. Another friend came over too and that really helped. Stephanie and I just sat and peeled and quartered peaches for almost two hours while Tara prepped jars, blanched peaches and got the boiling water bath going. It was a lot of work and I don't think we could have gotten it all done without three of us. We ended up doing 40 quarts altogether.

I had never canned anything before and I think this was a great way to start. We're going to start a winter garden with the Ross' this month and hopefully, we'll be able to can some of our produce too!

11 comments:

Tasha said...

That is awesome!! What a great activity. I am bookmarkingthis one in my mind for our R.S. activities

Call Family said...

Yay-so happy to see you did this-I need to get back to more canning-I did bread and butter pickles this week and also raspberry and strawberry freezer jam! I love eating things I made with love and know what is in it!

Call Family said...

Oh and save the jars and rings from now on and you just have to buy the inserted tops and it makes canning even cheaper in the long run!

Dad said...

Yum! Mom & I used to do a bit of canning. For you summer garden it does not take a lot of space to plant enough pole beans to have enough to can. What are you thinking of planting for your winter garden, I need to decide what to do now that the beans and tomatos are about done and it is to early to do peas.

Shannon said...

I'm so very impressed! They look yummy too. I don't think I would be able to do any of it without a group to help me get started and show me the process. Can't wait to hear what you are going to plant in your winter garden!

elizabeth said...

I am so, so proud of you!! Home-canned peaches are the best!! You are going to enjoy them all year long. I'm going to see if we can make something like that happen in my ward. Or maybe teach canning jam. That's pretty easy too. Yum to it all. I'm hoping next year to have enough beans to can some. I love home-canned green beans.

Kate said...

You are awesome! What a great food storage item that you can just break out once in awhile.

vdhfamtng said...

Great job! What work! I've never canned anything either. The peaches look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Holy peaches! If there's a food shortage can we trade you some fresh eggs for peaches :) Canning has always seemed too daunting for me to try...go you!

sara said...

WOW! Look at all those cans of peaches. I've always wanted to can but never have. I'm impressed that you three accomplished so much!

The Curnow Family said...

I want to can so bad! I see all these people do it and I think it looks like so much fun! One of these days I'll learn, I bet it was a ton of fun though. And doing it with other people is probably the best idea, more fun and quicker! So yummy!!