Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homework

I have spent the last two nights this week doing homework from about 3 in the afternoon until 9:30 at night.
We are finally settling into a bit of a routine at our house.  I pick up the big girls at 2:30.  We come home and have a snack and start on homework.  Then we collect a book to read and get in the car at 3:10 to go pick up Ryan.  The girls get their reading done and we get home around 3:40.  Then we settle back into homework, finishing piano, putting away clean clothes, and whatever else is on their list for the day.

Ryan is still working on getting caught up in his classes.  He couldn't register and attend until the fourth day of school and then he was sick with a sinus infection and missed the whole first week.  He has all academic classes this semester with no break like PE or a fun elective.  Two math classes and an econ class are going to be the challenge this semester, I think.  By the time Jim gets home, the girls are usually done with homework and I am making dinner.  He helps Ryan finish up his written assignments.  Then we have dinner, clean up, shower the girls and get them ready for bed.  After scriptures, prayer and reading stories, it's 8pm and Ryan and I start on the math.  By 9:30, I have to get ready for bed!  He is almost caught up in his classes now and feeling a bit more organized.  We will probably spend the rest of this week following this schedule though.

I'm not complaining.  I really love the challenge of organizing everyone, supporting the kids in school and teaching them how to be successful.  Some days go better than other days and that's okay too.

Yesterday, I felt like I lucked out.  The girls had Back to School night from 5:30-6pm.  The girls were done with homework and piano lessons and were all happily playing outside!  Ryan was working on his piles of catch-up work.  I fed the girls and told them to play nicely and not bug Ryan.  Jim pulled in the garage and I got in the car so we could be on time.  We each went to a class and got the info for the year.  Afterwards, we decided to grab something to eat AND go in and eat it.  It was so nice to just sit and talk with him for twenty minutes and I was grateful for the moment.  With the kids busy schedules we have to make more effort to connect with each other and it becomes more meaningful when we do.  Jim is a wonderful husband and we complement each other in our marriage and as parents.  I came home and gave Ryan a big hug to let him know how much I appreciated him watching the girls.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

High school homework scares me. I'm glad Justin is good at math because I never made it past high school algebra. Seriously. In college they made me take a math class that was such a low level it was 0 credits. And I barely passed it. Ryan is lucky to have you guys supporting him! Hope he gets caught up soon.

vdhfamtng said...

You go girl!

Shannon said...

Sounds like you are getting the routine down! I feel like I am so busy with one kid in school, I can't imagine having 3 who need help with homework, etc. You are such a great mom and I'm so impressed with all you are doing to help Ryan. You better believe my kids will be calling their Auntie Joy for help with their math someday too. :)

Amy said...

I'm always amazed at how you seem to be able to do so much and still appreciate things and be happy. Your nature is so true to your name!

Tasha said...

You are a busy Mom who sounds like she has a good routine. I am so impressed with how it all goes. You are a good example to me Joy. We are still trying to find a good one at our house.