Last night, I went to the General Relief Society Broadcast. I was really looking forward to it and went with another girl in my ward. We had fun at dinner, chatting with other gals in our ward and getting to know each other better. I just wanted to record and share some of my thoughts on some of the talks from last night.
Sister Beck talked about how the Relief Society fits into the kingdom of God. She also talked about the new book, "Daughters of a King". Our ward purchased copies for all of us and I just started it this week. I am looking forward to reading more of it. My favorite part of her talk was about visiting teaching. She likened the system of recording visits and contacts and numbers to the Law of Moses and asked that we start following a "higher path" of visiting teaching. We should come to know and love the sisters in our Relief Society (and especially the sisters we visit teach) and minister to them as Jesus would. That comment really lit a fire in me. Every time I think of those ancient Israelites who rejected the fulness of the gospel and were instead given a lesser law, the Law of Moses, I think, "What was wrong with them, to not take all that Heavenly Father was offering? I would never do that!" When Sister Beck compared our manner of visiting teaching to the lesser Law of Moses or to the higher law of Jesus Christ, it hit me hard. This is something that I am definitely going to continue to work on!!
Sister Alred's talk focused on charity. She reminded us that it is not an act, but a state of being. As she talked about how we can have charity in our hearts and why it's important, she stated the motto of Relief Society several times, "Charity never faileth." This is true because charity comes from God. We desire to have that pure love in our hearts and Heavenly Father fills us with his love for his children. Charity will never fail--no matter the immediate results--because it is God's work that we are doing. I let my self-consciousness get in the way of doing the work sometimes. I need to rely more on following the Spirit and less on what I think others will think of me.
Sister Thompson talked about covenants. They are really an opportunity for us! The Lord asks us to have faith and enter into this 'contract' that has set the terms of. As we fulfill our part and see the Lord keep his part, our faith and testimonies increase. With that increased faith in our hearts come the joy and peace that our Savior promised. Keeping the covenants we make sustains us through all that we face in this mortal life. I enjoyed her talk a lot.
President Uchtdorf was the concluding speaker. He spoke of the forget-me-not flower and how it has always been one of his favorites. He gave five items that we should 'forget-not'.
Forget not: to be patient and have compassion with yourself. Heavenly Father knows we are not perfect, we are here to learn and grow. We should be thankful for the small successes and steps of progression in our lives.
Forget not: the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice. A good sacrifice is when we give up something good for something far greater-with an eternal perspective. It is definitely something to consider as I look at the things I am committing my time to.
Forget not: to be happy NOW! He related the story of Willy Wonka's golden ticket. As people became more obsessed with the golden ticket, the chocolate itself became a disappointment.
Forget not: the why of the gospel. "The why of the gospel sanctifies and magnifies the what and the how of the gospel." I loved that quote! The day to day of raising a family and teaching them the gospel, of fulfilling a calling, of ministering to those in need becomes a pleasure and a joy when we remember the why.
Forget not: that the Lord loves you. He did not forget the tiny flowers he created and he has not forgotten me either. The Lord was kind enough to remind me of that himself in a recent blessing I received, but I need to remember this one on my own as well.
It was a wonderful meeting. I felt spiritually uplifted, encouraged and inspired to do better. I am so looking forward to hearing the general authorities next week at General Conference.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






4 comments:
I loved the RS broadcast too. Thanks for all your thoughts. It was a wonderful meeting. In fact, it echoes everything we are trying to do and accomplish in RS too. I hope that means we are on track. Pres. Uchtedorf's talk was right on too. It was a spiritually packed conference and I wished everyone of my sisters could have been there.
Thanks for the addition about Mimi. How fun that she has a teacher that mirrors her sociability! Makes me miss her even more. Can't wait to see you all in a couple weeks.
Thanks for the recap and your thoughts! I absolutely loved the RS meeting! I got to go with a group of sisters in my ward to the Conference Center for it and it was awesome. Seriously, it was a chatty crowd, but when Pres. Uchtdorf was testifying that the Lord has not forgotten each of us and that he loves us it was dead silent and the spirit was SO strong. I doubt there was a dry eye in the place. The whole experience just made me so grateful again for living prophets. I can't wait for Conference next weekend! I will miss you.
Thanks so much Joy. I was a slacker and missed the broadcast, but your thoughts have me excited to go to the church's website and experience them before conference!
I just loved the broadcast too. It was just what I needed to hear. I love knowing I am sitting watching someone that all my sisters are watching at the same moment.
I am Loving the new book that just come out. It is amazing how the church has sent one out for all the sisters in the church. It is amazing how many small things I am learning from it. I just feel the new love of sisterhood (and I thought I already had one). There are some great blessings to come from that book.
Post a Comment