Tuesday, September 20, 2011

School Days

Today I helped Liz's class in the computer lab again.  I helped the kids get logged in and then get to the correct web page to practice math facts.  We got everyone logged in and working.  The teacher was so excited!  Then the power went out.  Major bummer.  There was only 10 more minutes until lunch, so we walked up to the cafeteria and waited for a bit. Liz had asked me to stay, so I had packed a lunch.  We sat outside and I got to meet a lot of the girls she hangs out with.  It was so fun!  They are a cute group of girls and they all seemed pretty nice.  Liz sat quietly and ate her lunch.  I bet that's how she is most days.  But she has her friends and they are nice to her.  I was glad for the opportunity to get to know some of the kids in her class better and then some of her friends from the other classes at lunch.

In other school related news, I'm figuring out the high school system here in Ventura as well.  If we are still here, then Liz will reap the benefits by not having to be the guinea pig when it's her turn.  Ryan has been working really hard and is on track to graduate.  I had to turn in some paperwork at the high school today, so I took the opportunity to touch base with his counselor again and find answers to my many questions like "What time does Back to School night start?"  The counselor has been super helpful and we had a nice visit today.  I'm so grateful for him!

And if any of you are curious, this week at Rachel's preschool they are mixing yellow and blue to find green!!  She gets to wear green on Thursday and bring something green from nature.  She also has a friend at school.  Another mom told me that when asked who her friends were, her daughter started talking about Rachel.  So I think a playdate with a new friend is in our near future. :)

***By request, I will add a bit about Miriam's school experience.  I haven't worked in her class yet, but this is what I have gleaned from Miriam and the teacher.  Mimi loves that they dance in her class.  They have little mailboxes and the teacher has little blank notes that they can fill out and put in each others boxes.  Miriam comes home with several notes almost everyday.  There are some from different friends and always at least one from Enzo that says, "I love you."  We have talked about different things we can put on notes to our friends: "I like your hair today," "Let's do monkey bars today," "You are a good friend," etc.  Miriam has a very social class, so it is always fun.

2 comments:

vdhfamtng said...

You're so awesome, and always so on top of things with your kids.

elizabeth said...

What about Miriam?? I want to hear her school experiences. . . Jules is sure it's b/c Mimi's the middle child. We will be waiting with baited breath for a full blog on Mimi. J/K! I'm so glad Lizzie has friends!! And for that matter, Rachel. Good luck with that playdate. Hope it turns out better than the ones Brick has in "The Middle" ;-)