Friday, September 6, 2013

Good News Club

At the beginning of the summer, our neighbor, Darlene came to visit me.  She has always been really nice and invited us to some of the bigger activities at her church in Ventura.  We really enjoyed the live nativity they had last Christmas.  She was interested in starting a Bible club for the children in the neighborhood.  She used to do one at some of the elementary schools in the area and felt a desire to do one here.  It ended up being just my girls after all, but we really enjoyed visiting her home each week.
She had a snack and a craft for the girls each week.  Then she taught the lesson and had a game some weeks to go with it.  She also gave them verses of scripture to memorize each week.  She went through the story of Daniel, but started with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego's story.  I have to admit that I learned a lot too!!
(Had to finish a craft at home one week!)
The girls loved earning prizes for memorizing scriptures and also enjoyed the crafts and snacks.  They liked getting to know Darlene and her sweet dog, Annie, too.  Darlene and I had opportunities for some good discussions about what we believe and what she was teaching them from the Bible.  It was a sweet part of our summer.  At the end of the summer, she gave the girls a calendar that had a verse each day.  She told them if they took time to read the verses each day, she would take them to Wendy's to get a frosty!  The verses went through the life of Jesus and gave the girls and I opportunities to talk about what the Savior did here on earth and why.  We really enjoyed our treats with Darlene!!

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I hope to meet Darlene when we come to your Primary presentation.

Shannon said...

I just think this is so sweet. Glad you and the girls got to bond with the neighbor! :)