A lot of this last week has been consumed by preparing for the actual event. The RS sisters were also learning a dance, but because of soccer, I couldn't make any of the rehearsals. My friend was kind enough to take an hour late on Tuesday evening to teach me. Then we rehearsed again on Friday evening. I spent time running around buying some of the decor we couldn't get online and making MORE tissue paper flowers.
Friday morning, five of us went to the church to get the curtains hung on the stage and to string up the flowers, so they hung across the cultral hall. It looked awesome. That night, after rehearsing the dance again, my friend and I made a nighttime foray to cut greenery for the tables. I came back Saturday morning (along with the youth and some of the priesthood). We set up tables and chairs for over 300 (we had 350 RSVPs) and to help direct the decorations. I had to leave at 11 to get the big girls to their soccer games. We got home and I had enough time to shower, get ready, slice up a watermelon and get the girls ready before we left again.
The good part is that because I was involved in the prep, I didn't have much to do during the actual activity. Also, because Jim stayed home sick and kept Rachel, I could relax and enjoy the activity. The food was amazing! We ended up with over 400 people there at one point. It was standing room only. Everyone was dressed up. The hall looked AWESOME. The primary kids did a great job on the Hukilau and the YM were awesome doing the Haka Maori Warrior dance. I had a blast doing Hawaiian Hula Eyes with the RS. Then we had a surprise dance number: the missionaries did their own version of the Haka...too funny!
The last part of the entertainment was a professional group of polynesian dancers. Some of the group is in our ward, so we recognized a few of them. They were amazing. Lizzie was totally mesmerized and Mimi had a blast dancing along with the Tahitian drums. I had already been planning on having the girls do hula lessons sometime this year, but Lizzie was totally on board after watching the professionals!
It was a really fun evening. I was kind of sad to see all of our hard work and effort come down in about 15 minutes, but that's the way it goes. Our ward has tenatively decided to do this every other year. I'm grateful for a break, but already looking forward to next year!




6 comments:
You 3 look so stinkin cute!! I love the dresses or Mumu's if you want them called so! I loved when our ward did a luau!! So much fun!
Man, sounds like you've been busy! That is a great picture of you and the girls. And how nice that you got to enjoy the evening and all your hard work!
Wow, that sounded awesome!! Lots of work...but it sounded like it all paid off too. Fun! You all looked so fun and festive too.
Like mother, like daughter. I'm so glad you love muu-muus ;-) You do look stinkin' cute. . like Mel said!! Everything looked beautiful and so much fun!! Can't wait to see the girls with their hula lessons!! I'll wear my muu-muu when they perform!
Can I just say that you look EXACTLY like you mom in that first picture? Wow. I had to do a double take.
Sounds like it was a super fun party! And that fruit made my mouth water.
I must admit I like the Tahitian drums. Mike made some Tahitian music for me "love it" By the way did you know that Karisty and Kathryn took Tahitian dance lessons. Let me tell you and I won't say who can really get the hips moving. They enjoyed doing it and found muscles they never knew they had.
Post a Comment