We had a great Sunday today! I had been thinking all week about how we could make our Sabbath day a bit more focused on our Savior and more appropriate activities. I dreaded saying straight out no screens because I knew it would be painful. But I had talked about it a couple times with Jim during the week leading up (knowing it would have to be a united team effort to be successful) and again last night. I also found out on Saturday that the theme for sacrament meeting was going to be about Sabbath worship--perfect timing.
We started out with a decent morning, we actually have been doing really well getting us all ready to go for church and we even were able to leave together early enough for me to play prelude. I played the organ and Ryan blessed the sacrament; the girls were pretty good during the meeting. The high councilman gave a really great talk that spoke about the spirit of the Sabbath and brought to mind some activities that we may want to reconsider doing.
My primary class went really well today. The kids were excited about the activities I brought and were good participants. The time actually went quickly this week--love my flannel board! After church we had lunch and then the long afternoon set in. Jim and I just kept saying no when the girls asked to watch a show or play on the computer. They managed to find things to do. Liz and I read our scriptures. Miriam and Rachel and Liz played with toys, sometimes fought, but mostly got along alright. Jim and Ryan came up with a scouting to-do list for Ryan to work on this week, and Ryan also called his folks. Jim read some articles online and I read one of my books from the library.
Dinner was an elders quorum pot-luck. I made Mexicali casserole and two loaves of french bread. There was a good turn out and lots of good food to enjoy. The girls had so much fun playing with their friends and the dog in the backyard. Jim and I visited with friends. It was a good evening. We came home and picked up the whole house before reading scriptures and sending the kids to bed.
It was a good Sunday. I was pleased with our efforts and felt like our home was a happier place than last week.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
We have been doing no screens on Sunday with Gem. Every week she asks us and every week we say no. But it makes Sundays feel different, and makes us pay more attention to each other. So I think it is paying off a little at a time.
So glad it was a success! We only did ok yesterday. The kids did have screen time but only for half an hour. Then we watched some Pixar shorts together after baths. It probably helped that you had somewhere to go in the later part of the day.
I would still like to do no screens on Sunday as well. I guess I need to start the discussion with the one I can't control . . . my hubby. :) You'll have to share with me the rest of the things you learned about Sabbath worship. You know I think you are amazing. I look up to you so much. Thanks for being such a great example to me!
I think your no screen policy is a good idea, but having other activities in mind and in place so when they ask you can give alternative choices is the best. We did really well yesterday until Jules and Rick came home and then we played Words with Friends with each other back and forth laughing and talking until we went to bed ;-) (And ate the yummy taquitos Rick's grandma had made. . .hmm good!)
Post a Comment