Monday, June 25, 2012

Father's Day/Baptism Weekend

I think it's just going to be one huge post.  Here goes:

I spent a lot of Thursday and Friday continuing to check things off my list and prepare for the weekend.  Saturday I had a schedule that I hoped would allow me to get everything done.  Liz and I finished the last chapter of the Book of Mormon that morning.  It was sweet to read it and then spend some time on our knees asking for a confirmation that what we had read was true.  I felt the Spirit reaffirm my personal testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
The girls and I cleaned the bathrooms and then I headed off to Costco.  After lunch, the big girls and I had a birthday party for a friend.  The party was at Micheal's, which was kind of fun.  The girls loved the clay crafts they did and I helped my friend by taking her younger son with me to run a few more errands and pick up the cake.
 
 
When we got home I realized I forgot one thing at Costco!!!  So I helped Jim finish up the yard work and then went back to Costco and came home with dinner.  After baths and showers, we celebrated Father's Day a little early and let Jim open his presents from us.  The girls all had made fun things at school: a footprint, a plant, and some fun coupons.  We also got him a new cup for water at work and a fancy-schmancy suitcase for all his travels.  By bed time, everything was pretty much ready to go.
Sunday morning, we got ourselves up and ready for church with time to spare.  My family met us at the building for sacrament.  It was so fun to be all together!!!  And the cousins had a blast sitting by each other.  The girls went up and sang for Father's Day and did a great job.  Rachel made no funny noises and sang all the words she knew.  Primary was fun with our visitors too.

After church, we came home and ate lunch.  I bought a mixed sandwich platter from Subway and it was just the right amount of food.  After people ate, we cleared it away and started setting the table for the dinner.  Jim went to the church early and filled the font and made sure the room was set up.
 
 
 
 
 
The baptism was just perfect.  Grandpa Bob conducted, Auntie Christina led the music, Auntie Shannon played the piano, and Ryan gave the opening prayer.  Grandma B gave a great talk on baptism and used the Book of Mormon to help her out.  She talked about the five things that we promise to do when we get baptized: serve others, be humble, keep the commandments, be obedient, and take Jesus' name upon us.  Then she pulled out little action figures and explained how different people from the Book of Mormon were examples of those things.  The kids all LOVED the stories and the action figures.
Jim baptized Liz and it was very sweet.  She said she felt good inside afterwards.  After the baptism, Liz sang "I Like to Look for Rainbows" with her cousins and then Nana gave the talk about the Holy Ghost.  It was very sweet as she shared her testimony with her granddaughter.  Jim confirmed her a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and also gave her a sweet blessing.  Then Papa John gave her a huge, soft, fluffy, white blanket and talked about how the Holy Ghost can be a comforter to us.  The Primary President gave her a white towel that had "CTR Ventura 3rd Ward" embroidered on it and then the counselor in the bishopric shared some thoughts.

I felt very blessed to have so many friends and family members present for Liz's baptism and the Spirit was sweet.  I'm proud of Liz for making this choice and know that she will honor and keep the promises she made.
 
After the baptism, we headed back to the house for dinner.  I made pulled pork and bought a few different BBQ sauces.  There were rolls, watermelon, salad, chips, hummus and carrots too.  The dessert table had a huge chocolate cake, mini cinnamon rolls, lemon bites and brownie bites.  We also had the "Chews" the Right jars on the piano.  Everyone ate and visited.  I was a little busy in the kitchen keeping the food stocked, but it was fine. 
 
When things slowed down a bit, Liz opened her presents.  We gave her a set of scriptures and some new books.  My folks gave her a scripture tote and scripture markers.  She got a cute tithing box, a couple bracelets, a fun church book, clothes, and even some money!  Her friend in primary made her a cute card with plans to go for a ride in her grandma's convertible to an ice cream shop.
 
 
 
 
 
It was a ridiculously exhausting day and my feet were numb from wearing my pink pumps all day long, but it was wonderful!

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

We were so glad we could be there! It was so fun to watch Lizzie get baptized and be so ready! I remember the day when I put on a baptism dinner, etc. I was so tired too. (Weddings will make you tired also. . . FYI.)

Love ya!!

Kate said...

Nothing better than baptism day! Congrats to Lizzie! Sounds like a perfect day :) Love the "Chews the Right" idea.

Tasha said...

What a wonderful day. I just loved Tanner's baptism day too. It made me smile through the whole post. What a wonderful girl Lizzie is and she looked so happy and excited. This is such a fun time in their lives.