Saturday, August 3, 2013

Summer To-Do List

I know, I know, a list for summer?  Really?  But the problem is, if I don't have a list, I forget all the things I want to do and then they don't happen.  I just found our list today and we did pretty good.  There are still a couple things that didn't quite happen, but that's okay.

Beach-ventura mothers beach CHECK
Channel Islands museum CHECK
Santa Barbara botanical gardens
Hike two trees
Fleece blankets CHECK
Dance camp CHECK
Rock climbing/play place CHECK
Liz: crochet or cross-stitch CHECK
Liz: hair cut CHECK
Movie theater CHECK
Chuck E Cheese CHECK
Swim lessons CHECK

Liz finished her first cross-stitch this summer.  We attempted a cross-stitch about a year ago and it didn't go very well.  This time around was much better.  There was still some frustration and some unpicking, but hey, that's all part of the fun, right?
The stake Relief Society participated in a summer service project, part of which was making fleece blankets for children placed with social services and have nothing of their own for a time.  I figured the girls could do that and we each picked out a fun fabric.  I took the big girls with me to the evening when the Relief Society sisters all worked on their blankets and they did a great job.  With the help of some of the women, they both got their blankets done that evening.  At home, the big girls and I worked together and got Rachel's done (it was a bit much for her) and I did mine.  The girls had fun and enjoyed the project.
We had two new families move in on our street this summer.  Families!!!  With kids!!!  They are both really nice and we have enjoyed getting to know them.  I wanted the moms on our street to get to know each other better and invited some for a 'Mom's Night In'.  I found all this cute stuff at the dollar store and made brownie bites.  Everyone also brought something to share.  It was a really fun evening and I'm going to do it again in January.
This wasn't actually part of the to-do list, but the girls decided that they needed to organize the DVDs in ABC order.  Mostly this involved spreading the DVDs all around the room.  I think they got a little bogged down with all the 'Barbie' movies and only made it to 'C' before losing interest.  But it was very entertaining in the meantime!

No comments: