But on to better things! We started Little House in the Big Woods this weekend! Now I'm pretty sure that I haven't read these books since the 6th grade at the latest, but there are so many images that have stayed very clear in my mind. My favorite is when they pour the syrup into the snow in designs to make maple candy. I also thought it was cool/gross that they played with the pig's bladder as a balloon or ball.
I love reading the story and then talking about it with the girls. I try to help them understand how completely different her life was compared to theirs. But also, they have a lot in common with Laura and her family. In the beginning of the book, there are the two older girls and the baby...just like our family! She loves to help her Ma and Pa and she plays "house" and other games with her sister.Lizzie is usually pretty attentive during our bedtime story and will often ask questions. Miriam tends to gaze off in other directions and snuggle in her bed while I am reading. It's fine with me, as it is the last thing we do before bed, but sometimes I wonder how much of the story she is getting. Then she'll blow me away the next evening when I ask them to tell me where we left off in the story and she remembers specific details.
I can't tell you how much joy I get from sharing these amazing books and stories from my childhood with my girls. Sometimes I miss a bedtime reading session if I go out for whatever reason. I don't think much of it as I'm heading out the door, but the next evening when I open the book and realize that I've missed our reading together, my heart hurts a little inside. Some of it hurts because I'm out of the loop in our story and some of it hurts because I missed that connection with my girls. It's a great way to end our evening together.




6 comments:
I love these books! I can't wait to read them to Annabella! Keyth reads to her at night and I read with her in the day. Keyth is reading her Wind in the Willows and she loves it. We are reading Frog and Toad Adventures.... I love that she looks forward to reading these books with us. If only she was that excited for scripture time.... I love that you are enjoying it too... at least I am not the only one.
Laura Ingalls Wilder is one of my favorites. I was actually named for her, did you know that? My mom even wanted to give me the middle name of Elizabeth (the author's middle name) but my dad thought that was going too far. Anyway, it is amazing to note the difference in attention span between your kids and mine! I don't think my boys would sit down and be quiet for a book that doesn't have any pictures in it.
Joy, I love that you read books like this to your girls. I really need to start doing it. I LOVE love LOOOOVE the Little house on the Prairie books. Oh, I love them. That just made me happy to read this.
Hooray! I love Little House on the Prairie. I don't know if Weston and Davin will enjoy them like I did. They are kind of girl books. I will have to search out some good boy books. I want to start with Charlotte's Web, but still probably not until Davin is 3 and they have moved into a bedroom together. :) I'm glad that your girls are loving the books. That makes me smile.
I didn't care to much for the rest of the series, but I love Little House in the Big Woods. I remember all those same things and I also haven't read it since elementary school. Mostly I also was intrigued by playing with the pig bladder.
I too love bedtime story time with my kids! I miss it when I'm not home in the evenings. I love sharing my love of reading with them and I like the quiet time after the chaos of the day. Books rock!
BTW, I'm half way through a great book..."Hush, Hush" by Becca Fitzgerald. Thought I'd share in case you're looking for a book for you!
Post a Comment