Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Family Spring Fling

Yikes!  I'm having a hard time keeping this blog updated these days!  Last weekend was our ward activity.  The primary was in charge of planning it.  With the way the calendar worked around General Conference, Easter and Spring Break, it didn't really work to do an Easter egg hunt again, so we did a Family Spring Fling with some friendly competition.

Our Valiant boys got really involved and made the flyer and posters to advertise.  They also did a little chant/cheer that said all the info and did it in Relief Society and Priesthood to announce the activity.  It was super cute and got everyone excited about the activity.

The first thing everyone did when they got to the park was make a family poster.  We had markers, glitter glue, stickers, stamps and ribbons to decorate the posters.  Then we put them on garden sticks and set them up along one side of our field.  We made sure people set up their chairs on the other side to be spectators.  It made the field look great to have all these posters with ribbons; very festive!
Then we did the games.  The first one was the three legged race.  Miriam and Liz practiced just before hand and then Miriam decided she didn't want to do it.  So Liz and Daddy raced together.  Brother Clobes (over 6 ft and 250 lbs) tied Rachel to his leg.  Then he just picked her up and ran!!  Everyone who participated in a race got a licorice at the end and the winners got to pick out a bag of fun size candy too.  Rachel and Brother Clobes won the first race!  Miriam realized she missed out on candy, so she made sure to participate in the rest of the races.

We did the potato sack race in heats according to age.  It was hilarious.  I think the adult heat was the best.  Daddy got out there and jumped down the field too.  Then he carried Rachel back in his sack!  Liz took all these pictures with my phone while I was announcing and organizing races on the bullhorn.
 
 
We also did opposite leap frog (where you go under your team's legs instead of over your team), some sprints, and then the egg toss (with raw eggs).  It was a lot of fun for everyone there.  After the races, we had snack refreshments of muffins, gogurts, fresh fruit and granola bars.  We also had water and juice to drink.  It was a great activity and with everyone helping to make it happen, it was very easy!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Woohoo a blog update! I love it! I love that Liz took pics for you while you were busy announcing. I think your activity sounds very fun and successful. So glad it all came together. :)

elizabeth said...

A. Thanks for blogging!!!
B. You look skinny on those pictures w/ Rachel. Your face is thinner. You have been working hard!!! Go you!!
C. I love Miriam's lesson of not participating. Candy incentives are always the best.
D. Rachel in a sack is the way to go!!
E. Thanks for explaining the new cubbys in the girls room. I saw a picture on Facebook and I didn't know which room it was from.
F. Thanks again for blogging!!
G. Love you ALL!!