After reminding Lizzie for the hundred-millionth time to put away her shoes and socks, I decided I was done with that. She needed to learn to do it automatically. I decided to create job charts for the girls. I came up with 10 things they are responsible for each day and found some smallish stickers they could use to fill in the chart.
Since Miriam was in charge of the lesson for Family Home Evening, I helped her talk about the responsibilities we each have in the family. Lizzie knows them pretty well by now: fathers provide, preside and protect the family, mothers nurture and teach children. Then we talked about what their responsibilities are in the family. I gave them their job charts and we went over all their jobs. They were sooo excited to start putting stickers on the chart.
So far this is totally working to my advantage. They put away their shoes/socks without being told (if I remind them, they don't get a sticker), there are no tears while doing hair and they stay in their beds after I tuck them in. They love putting the stickers on their chart and are more than happy to do their jobs. When the chart is all filled in, they get to pick something fun to do as a family: swimming, mini golf, bowling, movie, etc.
I'm hoping it takes a long while before the novelty wears off (I know eventually it will). But in the meantime, I am totally enjoying watching my little family work together so well.




6 comments:
Lizzie and Mimi look like the happiest children on earth with their job charts. I can't believe you have NO crying for hair. I wished I had thought of job charts when you were all little and put "happily get hair done" on the chart You are such a smart mommy!! Good girl!!
P.S. I can't wait to get snuggles from my Rachel on Friday!!
LOVE the job charts! You did great coming up with their tasks for the day. They are so stinkin cute too. I'm glad that it is working so far. Rachel looks much too cute to be driving you crazy. ;) Glad you got the child locks done. That helps everyone stay sane.
Your girls are so darling! I remember the child lock phase. We had one on the doorknob to the attic that made it so that I could hardly open it! Nice idea with your job charts. They look pretty thrilled with them. :-)
Hahaha! That's so funny about the pantry doors. I love your job charts. They work wonders. I still have yet to do some for the summer. I also want them to each make a summer goal or goals with a reward at the end of summer if they achieve them.
I love job charts!! i have them for my baggers at work... but they are nasty teenagers and they don't like them but I love the big smiling faces when it comes to the charts and I love the cutest little Rachel struggling!!
Go you! I think a job chart is something i should start. Maybe once we get a little more settled. Because seriously I am getting tired of telling Tanner things too.
Post a Comment