
Today was Elizabeth's first day of Kindergarten!!! She has been excited and counting down the days. (As have I.) We went to the beach for one last time yesterday, and realized that I had been told the wrong date for the first day of school! I thought she started on Wed, but it was actually Tuesday. We raced home from the beach and hurried to get everything done for the next day. This included a quick haircut (which turned out super cute) and getting her dress ironed. (Did I mention it's the one my mom made for
my first day of Kindergarten?!?!) We attempted to have a "Stranger Danger" talk for our FHE. But with the stress of Kindergarten and so much unknown about it, we ended up traumatizing Lizzie. So we cut it short and sent everyone to bed.


To help the morning pass, we went to storytime at the library. We came home, ate a quick lunch and got ready. We got to the school a bit early, but that was okay. We recognized a couple kids from preschool and it was nice to have some familiar faces. We were all waiting outside the classroom and the teacher called the kids one by one to get their name tag. As he started, Lizzie began her goodbyes: "Goodbye Rachel. Goodbye Mimi. (hug) Don't worry, I'll be back home soon." It was amusing. We got her name tag and then got to do a little "scavenger hunt" through the classroom. We found the bathrooms, drinking fountain, the home center and blocks, and her name on the activity board. Then she got to write her name on the paper, sit on the carpet and say goodbye to mom. It was a great way to transition into the classroom. She sat down on the carpet and said, "See ya later Mom!"

I think she had a fun day. She said they got to watch a video about caterpillars and learned what to do if you have a "brainstorm" and can't think anymore: you take a deep breath through your mouth and let it out slowly through your nose three times. (I'll have to remember that.) She had a cute crown and was excited to go back tomorrow. There were still some meltdowns at home this afternoon as she decompressed, but that was to be expected. Now I have to make sure I get all my homework done tonight!!!

*****After reading some of the comments, I went hunting for
my first day of school pictures! This actually isn't the first day of school, this is my kindergarten picture and I was wearing the first day of school dress. It looks kinda yellow b/c I had to take a picture of it with my camera and upload it to the computer. (Someone I'm married to, who will remain nameless, threw away my scanner!)
10 comments:
So fun!!!! I love that she wore your first day of school dress from kindergarten too! SO CUTE!! She looked adorable. How fun to have her first day of school. Tanner has been in school for 3 weeks now and we have just barely got over the afternoon melt down after school. Be prepared for a few more days of it. But, it does get better! Yeah!!!
She looks SO cute. I feel a little deja vu-ish seeing her in your first day of school dress. Such a special day. I also LOVE her haircut. So cute too!! What a big day in the Henshaw household. Congrats to you all :-)
Yeah for her first day!! Isn't it sort of crazy suddenly doing all this first day of school stuff? I find it a little surreal. She looks so cute in her purple dress and I can just imagine an excited little Joy on her first day of kindergarten too!
I love her hair cut it makes her look so different. I am gald things went well with her first day.
O.K. seeing you and Lizzie at age 5 in the little purple dress made me cry! Don't blink, Joy, b/c then you'll be looking at Lizzie's little Joy on her first day of school. . . gee whiz!!
So adorable! She looks so cute in her dress and her cute hair! You are such an adult with a kid in kindergarten. I'm glad that she had a fun day and wants to go back. I call that successful. I will call you today. Loves to all the Henshaws!
Ohhh my! Lizzie looks soo cute and grown up! I can not believe she is in Kindergarten now! Also cute kindergarten picture Joy. What a little cutie YOU were! Love ya!
SHE LOOKS SO CUTE!!! That is adorable. I love her little outfit! Also I love Psych, that show is hilarious!!! I just saw you got that for your birthday.
I love it that she wore your dress! That is such a cute picture of you when you were little. Isn't it amazing how quickly they get big? I'm glad she's loving school...
I've been looking for a post on Lizzie's first day and wondering when it would be. So happy for her (and you) that she enjoyed it so much. Despite all the stress associated with the first day (from the teacher point-of-view), I LOVED watching those little ones come in.
Post a Comment