Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tablesetting Competition 2009: Hot August Nights

Okay, folks! I know you've all been holding your breath in anticipation of my tablesetting at the fair. And to ensure that none of you pass out, here it is!!
The theme was "Hot August Nights" and I chose to set a table for a camping dinner. I tried to make my centerpiece look like it was made from stuff you found around the campsite. I just couldn't get super frilly because I could never imagine setting a frilly table while camping. Even this is a stretch. ;) Anyway, I was really pleased with the final result.
I had fun setting it up and watching the other people set their tables up. Mine was really simple and I was done in twenty minutes. (We had 60 minutes to set up.) So I sat and stared at mine for 10 minutes and then fussed with a couple things. Then I walked around and checked out the other tables. Some people were a bit more neurotic than others, but they all turned out beautifully.
I can't wait to go back to the fair tomorrow and see my table set up with the others!!! I'm also so pleased to be able to check this off my list of "Things to do in Life." A special thanks goes to the Ross's who watched my girls for me while I set up my table this morning and while I did a last minute trip last night (Jim was still gone). A super-special thanks goes to Jim who whole-heartedly supported me in this endeavor. He brainstormed with me, shopped with me, and made the whole process fun. Thanks sweetie!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

It looks SO good! I love the lantern centerpiece. Very very cute. I want to see that at your next campout. :) I'm glad that you have had so much fun putting this together. Enjoy checking it all out tomorrow!

jilljohnson said...

That is so awesome. I love it. I wish our fair had that category. I love the fair it is one of my fav. times of the year.

jilljohnson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
vdhfamtng said...

I love your table! The lantern centerpiece really rocks! And from what I can tell from the people around you, your table setting is a pretty original idea too! Love it, love it, love it! Great work!

John and Laura said...

good job. how creative. i think it all looks very nice together. i hope you get a good review from it. :)

Tasha said...

So fun!! Go you Joy! Love it :)

Jennifer said...

I LOVE it! You did a great job. I can't wait to hear the results...

Mom said...

I'm so glad I got to see it in person!! I have so much to de-brief in person about. I got through Debbie Goode's daughter's wedding today. Tomorrow's the funeral and then I'm going to call and we can talk about all the other centerpieces and I can tell you all that I loved about yours in person so I can go on and on ;-) It was totally worth the trip. I'm glad you guys came out to the fair so I got some grandkid loving time too.

The Curnow Family said...

That is so fun! You're such an adventurous person! Way to go Joy!! I'm so proud! Super cute table and that menu sounds delicious!!