Friday, October 9, 2009

Lizzie's Field Trip

Today was Lizzie's first field trip! She and her classmates have been so excited all week long. Much of the excitement was to be able to ride on the bus and then they remembered they also got to visit the pumpkin patch. For the field trip, Lizzie's afternoon class came with the morning class. So we had to get her to school by 8am. It just made me grateful again for afternoon Kindergarten: it was hard to get everyone dressed and out the door that early and the parking was a pain because the rest of the school was also arriving. After dropping her off, we went home and hung out for about an hour until it was time to go.
Miriam, Rachel and I drove out to the pumpkin patch to meet the kids there. We actually caught up with and then passed the bus on the freeway! Since Lizzie was line-leader today, she was the last one off the bus, but we found her eventually. The cute kids were so excited. Rachel found this big pumpkin out front and thought it was pretty cool.
They took the kids over to the little animal area. Mrs. Daily's class went out on the tractor and to the pumpkin field while one of the owners talked to Lizzie's class about organic farming, taking care of the dirt and some other things. I was only kind of paying attention because Rachel kept trying to pet the unfriendly goose. I backed up to take the picture and you can see she already had her hand through the fence! Then the kids got to feed the goats and sheep. I didn't get a very good picture of Lizzie. Because she was the line-leader, she was always at the front and we were kind of hanging back to stay out of the way.
The little redhead boy next to Lizzie in the picture above was next to her for most of the field trip. I didn't catch his name, but it was cute to watch him with Lizzie. After petting the bunny, it was our turn to go out on the tractor. Again, Lizzie was at the front and ended up far away from us, which is why she's not in the picture. Rachel enjoyed the ride. I think she liked it best on our way back when I let her sit on the bench like a big girl.
We went around to the pumpkin field and the kids got to choose a pumpkin. Lizzie found one right away and then found a little one for Rachel. But Rachel was mostly interested in the ones that were almost too heavy for her to pick up. Miriam was very happy with her pumpkin that had no stem. When everyone finally had a pumpkin, we took some pictures by the tractor and scarecrow. Lizzie really has such a cute class!!! While we were waiting to get back on the tractor, Rachel became bored and decided to just play in the dirt.
By the time we got back from our tractor ride it was about 10:30, the kids grabbed a quick snack of water bottle and graham crackers. I had brought granola bars and a small water bottle for my two and we sat at a table with another mom and younger sibling and visited. By the time the kids got back on the bus, they had just enough time to get back to school! We beat them there and were waiting for them. Rachel was super tired on the way home and I had to work hard to keep her awake. Miriam and Rachel were both very good girls and I think everyone had a fun day.

5 comments:

Kim said...

CUTE pics! Also I love your new background for halloween!!

Shannon said...

What a great first field trip! Looks like so much fun. Weston's favorite job at school is line-leader too. No big surprise there. He likes to be in charge. :) I love all the pics. Did you sepia the one of you with the girls yourself? Very cool.

vdhfamtng said...

What a fun time! That is so cute about the little boy hanging out w/ Lizzie. Today I took my boys plus two little girls to our neighborhood park for a while and when we were walking there Nathan had one girl on each hand! It was hilarious! Nathan is totally going to be that guy who is completely naive about women. He'll hold a girl's hand just because she took his first and she'll think it means he really likes her. Anyway, great pics! What beautiful girls!

Tasha said...

What fun!! We did the pumpkin patch today too, but for playgroup(Tanner didn't get togo. He was disappointed. They may or maynot be doing a pumpkin patch fieldtrip this year. They might do the tree farm instead. So fun though!! It looked like Lizzie had a great day and the rest of you too! I love pumpkin patches!!!

Mom said...

Well, now that I'm not talking to my very important principal, I can comment to you ;-) Your field trip pics are so cute. Everyone looked like they had a great time and I'm so glad that they were all such good girls!! (Especially that line-leader one!) It's so fun to see Lizzie all grown up with her class.