Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pinecone Birdfeeders

We watched a cartoon character make these on TV yesterday morning. As we watched, I though, "We should do that activity, but not today." That evening, our neighbors watched our girls while Jim and I went the the LA Temple. They took the girls to the park. When Lizzie saw the pinecones, she remembered the project and they each chose one to take home. Well, that made my job much easier. Today we went to Petco, checked out all the animals and fish and bought some birdseed. While Rachel was napping, we put together our pinecone feeders. Here's the step-by-step instructions.

Materials:
2 pine cones
1 C peanut butter
1-2 C bird seed
string
scissors
Lizzie purposely chose a pine cone with a stem to tie it up. Since Miriam's didn't really have one, I tied the string on the top before we started. The girls used a spoon to put the PB all over the pine cone.
Then we rolled the pine cones in the birdseed. (I was engrossed in the project at this point and forgot that I was also the photographer!)
Then we had our tall, eagle scout daddy help tie them up on our front porch. Hopefully, we'll see some feathery friends soon!

5 comments:

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

What a cute, fun idea!!

Shannon said...

Great idea! You are such the fun mom. Also, the pet store is a great outing. :)

Grandma B said...

I'm so proud of Lizzie to think it through and remember to get those pine cones for you!! She's just like her mom. I sure hope you get some birdies out your window :-) Can't wait to see you all next Sunday!!

jilljohnson said...

I love that idea. Simple yet fun and ongoing waiting to see if the birds come.

Tasha said...

So fun! What a good Mom. Your girls are so cute.