Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Book!

Last night we read the last two chapters of "The Tale of Despereux." The girls enjoyed reading from the book each night. I liked that the chapters were really short. I also enjoyed the theme of light and dark throughout the book. However, the storyline of the book (compared to the movie) was rather complicated. I think there was a lot that the girls missed. Also, there were a few dark moments that were a bit intense for right before bed (one character is abused repeatedly). I tried to keep it light throughout our reading though.

I had really wanted to start the Laura Ingalls Wilder series next. But I don't actually own those books. (Hopefully, this tragedy will be remedied by Christmas.....hint, hint!) So I went to my shelves to see what else might work. Happily, I found "Charlotte's Web." I think it is helpful that the girls have seen this movie (we own it) and while it does deal with death, it is also very uplifting. The chapters are a bit longer, so I may have to do it a bit piece-meal, but I think it will work. When I told the girls my choice for our next book, they were really excited.
In other literary/movie news, I watched a short preview of "Where The Wild Things Are" with the girls. We haven't read this book in a really long time. Lizzie asked me whether the wild things were real. I explained that they were actually people dressed up in a costume. "And then they video tape it?" "Yes, they video tape it and that's how they make a movie." She thought about that and then asked, "But how will they make the forest grow out of his room?" I was just shocked she even remembered that part of the book!!! I told her I didn't know how they were going to do it. She started in on the logistical difficulties of video taping a seed in the ground. That girl is the most literal child I've ever met. I love her to pieces.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this movie, but I'm not sure that it will be appropriate for my girls. Maybe if they were 10 or 11, but they're probably going to be too young. We'll have to wait and see. I usually check out movies at dove.org. They review movies (in theaters and direct to DVD) and let you know exactly what swear words are used and how often, the explicitness of any sex, drugs or violence and anything else that would cause a parent concern. It is a great resource for parents.

5 comments:

jilljohnson said...

I am going to try your comfort food idea I have been cold lately. I love that you read chapter books with your girls.

Olson Family said...

Ohhh i can't wait to see where the wild things are. OK, so my friend is really good at drawing and he drew on some canvas vans a where the wild things are picture, it looked awesome, i want to get some shoes for him to draw on for me. not necessisarily where the wild things are, but something cool!

Shannon said...

Congrats on finishing Tale of Despereaux! That's awesome. I love Charlotte's Web. That's definitely one I will read with Weston. Also, we will be making our way through Harry Potter. I think I will wait a little longer though until we start doing chapter books at night. I am excited for it though.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Where the Wild Things Are movie. I read the book to Weston for the first time at Borders last weekend. He didn't seem all that into it. I just am not sure what kind of plot they are going to give the movie. I will still probably see it though. :) Thanks for the dove.org recommendation. Good to know. Love you!

Mom said...

Congrats on finishing Tale of Despereaux. Charlotte's Web is a perfect next read!! I loved the picture of the girls with the hot chocolate below. In fact, I've been craving hot chocolate ever since and had to come home from work and have some today before the 90 degree weather comes back in the next couple days. . .blah. Enjoyed the rain, though.

Anonymous said...

criteriain http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534435 gill http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534438 commissioned http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534439 brajdi http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534440 vanessa http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534441 jeremiah http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534443 voyeurism http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534445 roms http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534449 tkach http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1534451 spay