We enjoyed our first weekend of leisure at our new home! Friday night we went to our ward's Chili Cook-off/Youth Camp Fundraiser. There were lots of yummy chilies and some amazing corn bread. There was also home-made rootbeer! I made real chili for the first time and my crock-pot was empty at the end of the night--success. :) They had a TON of items up for silent auction. Each youth had to come up with stuff for the auction and they had gotten a lot of stuff donated. There was jewelry, restaurant gift certificates, hair cuts, Marie Calendar pies, tickets to theaters, zoos, theme parks, baseball games, books, artwork, chiropractic services, fun getaways and more! We were a little overwhelmed by all they had available. We came home with a hair cut for Jim from MVP Haircuts, a hair cut for me from Shear Talent, a necklace and earring set, a wall hanging and an oil painting of Carpenteria Beach. After everyone ate, they auctioned off the desserts that the youth had made. I would say it was a rather successful fundraiser.
Saturday morning, everyone slept in!!! It was great. Rachel kept her diaper dry and asked to go potty first thing. We got ourselves ready and tidied up the house for Grandma B and Grandpa Bob's visit. They arrived around 11:30. The big girls took them on a tour of the house. Highlights from their tour included the purple bathroom, a great hiding place in the coat closet, the light in Mom and Dad's closet and their bed. Then Grandma and Grandpa brought in their fun housewarming gifts!! They brought the girls each a pink camp chair, so cute; and they brought us two red adirondack patio chairs!!! Grandpa made us an avocado picker, a carpet protector for the girls' room, and gave us his old lawn mower. Grandma B also had some fun celebratory items for our next party!
The kids played Sorry with Grandma and Grandpa while I fixed lunch. When the game was finally done, we had our yummy potato broccoli soup and rolls. We relaxed and visited for the rest of the afternoon. The girls set up their chairs in front of the TV and brought out their pillow pets to get comfy. It was a very nice day.
That evening, we got a babysitter and went to see the "Green Hornet." It just came to the cheapie theater and Jim and I both wanted to see it. We went to Baja Fresh for dinner and were pretty excited for the movie. We got there just in time for the previews to start. We watch the first few and then a preview comes on and I lean over to Jim and say, "Wait, isn't this the movie we came to see? Why are they showing a preview for it AT the movie?" He wasn't sure either. A few minutes later we realized that the movie we both wanted to see was "Green Lantern" and we had just paid money to see the "Green Hornet"!!! Major bummer. It was a really lame movie with tons of gratuitous violence, bad language, and a lame hero. Did I mention that it was lame? Whatever. We still enjoyed an evening out and now I'll pay closer attention when I look at a movie title.
Sunday, was another good day. We are making friends in our new ward and I feel like I know a few more names. Rachel was really bummed on Friday night that she didn't get to go to nursery even though we went to church, so she was super excited to go to nursery today. I came in halfway through to take her to the potty and she didn't want to leave! There are only two or three other kids and they're smaller than her, so she pretty much has run of the place. I'm playing the organ this week for a funeral and went to my first ward choir rehearsal today. It's been a good weekend. On the docket for this week is feeding the missionaries, Jim out of town for a couple days, book club, piano lessons, the usual.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I got the potato broccoli soup recipe from your mom...it's so tasty! Sounds like a great weekend in your new house. Except for the movie mix-up, too funny!!
How fun that Mom and Dad got to come see the new house and visit! Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. Bummer about the movie. I heard Green Hornet was pretty bad too. At least you were still out sans kids so the evening wasn't a complete loss. :)
Hope you have a good week this week too! Call me when you have a free minute. Love ya!
Thanks for a wonderful visit!! Tell the girls we had a wonderful tour ;-) We love your new house. It's so nice for you guys and it sounds like you have a really nice ward too. The soup was extra delicious especially since I haven't had that soup in so long.
Please tell Jim that I LOVE my Angel's New Orleans beads. What a fun surprise!! I'm already missing you!!
Post a Comment