Monday, February 23, 2009

Disneyland or Bust!!!

We busted.

It was a good attempt, but just not meant to be. The original plan was for the five of us to go to my mom's this past Saturday, hang out with the Bowles for the weekend and then go with them to Disneyland on Monday. Jim dropped out first when he realized he had bronchitis last Wednesday. I debated going to my mom's at all, knowing it would be a lot of work for me alone. However, I wanted to see my sister's family, so we headed down. Jules was invited to come with us to Disneyland so that I could still take the girls. By Sunday afternoon: Miriam was listless with a runny nose and drippy eyes; Lizzie had started with a cough, my head was completely stuffed up.

That night I put the girls to bed and hoped for the best. Lizzie kept waking up crying uncontrollably. The poor girl wanted to be held, but didn't want to be touched; she just didn't feel good. I bought cough medicine at the store and planned to plow ahead. After she woke up for the third time, I was having major doubts. The last straw was when Miriam got up at 2:30. When I picked her up in the hallway, she informed me that she had to go potty and then proceeded to wet all over me and my mother's floor. I also realized she had a fever. I had been defeated.

I was bummed to tell Jules that we couldn't take her and I was dreading telling the girls. But I also felt relieved that I didn't have to force myself to go to Disneyland with tired kids when I wasn't even excited myself!!! When I finally did explain to the girls that we were going to go another day when we felt better and we could take Daddy with us, they were amazingly zen about the whole thing. Lizzie proceeded to sack out on the sofa under a blanket and Miriam went on playing with toys.

After a rousing game of Zingo, we sent off Shannon, Ian and the boys and I packed us up and drove us home. Now it's back to laundry and real life and getting everyone feeling better!!! Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Amy said...

It seems kids know when they're too tired or too sick, doesn't it? Funny how you think they'll fight it and then something inside them just gives a big sigh of relief. Hope all gets back to normal for you soon!

Shannon said...

We were bummed that we couldn't all go to D-land together, but really it worked out fine. I'm glad that it wasn't major tears when you broke the news. Overall, still a good visit, right Just so you know I REALLY appreciate you making the effort to come down and see us. I know it's hard to do by yourself with 3 kids. I love you and hope everyone is feeling better sooner rather than later.

Olson Family said...

OHHH JOY!!! dont be silly!! I was fine!! :) I am just hoping everyone at the Henshaw house starts feeling better!! Love you and fun seeing you sat and sunday!