Our stake held a women's conference yesterday and the speaker was Sister Julie Beck, the General Relief Society President. She came to our stake center and spoke with us for an hour and it was one of the best hours I've spent in a long time. She has long been one of my favorite speakers. She used to be in the General YW Presidency and last year was called as General RS Pres. She brings an appreciation of womanhood and invites you to rejoice with her in our divine roles as women.She spoke for a few minutes and then opened up the meeting and answered four questions that were asked. I marveled at the scriptures and quotes from prophets that she brought up, also at her love and humor as she shared some of her and her family's life experiences. Here are some of the points that were highlights for me.
- In the beginning, she asked us to stand as the different titles applied to us. We saw the mothers of preteens (0-12), the mothers of teenagers, the single under the 30, the older single, the empty nesters, the temple workers, etc. Then she said, "But these are all just categories. While they tell us a bit more about your day to day experiences, they don't define you." As I pondered that thought, I came up with some changes to make in my life so that I won't be defined by my category. I am a daughter of God and need to live accordingly.
- Food for thought: "What will be important in 2000 years?"
- As she addressed time management a little bit, she shared a lesson she learned from her father-in-law. He was a steel worker and worked different shifts: the day shift, the swing shift and the night shift. She said that we often end up working most of all three shifts (especially as mothers) and sometimes there is no way around that. Some of us work our day shift for someone else even. The most important shift that we should focus our efforts on is the swing/afternoon shift. That is where we have the most opportunities to influence our families. We usually feed them (both physically and spiritually) and the teaching moments come often.
- She also encouraged us to rejoice in the choice that we made: to come to Earth and have these experiences. To enjoy and appreciate the blessings that Heavenly Father bestows on us.
Jim had a couple friends over too. Between the three dads, they had 6 kids: 4, 3, 18mo, 7mo, & 4mo. They ordered a couple pizzas, played some video games and had fun. They all survived the evening, but by the time everyone left and our kids were in bed, Jim was exhausted!!!




8 comments:
This was a great post! thanks for sharing, what a great experience!
I am soo glad you had fuN! I know you were really excited to go!! Also GO JIM!! thats great him and friends all got together and made babysitting a little bit more fun!
I am soo glad you had fuN! I know you were really excited to go!! Also GO JIM!! thats great him and friends all got together and made babysitting a little bit more fun!
That sounds so fabulous! I'm glad that you got to have such a wonderful speaker and be inspired. Dinner with friends afterwards is a total bonus! I love girls' nights!
Sounds so inspiring!!! Wish I could have heard her too, I love her!!! Thanks, though, for sharing her great messages. I learned just hearing about it. Love ya!
That's was your mother that said that!
Thanks for sharing the highlights from her talk. That was very inspiring to me, second hand! :) I'm glad Jim watched all three girls. What a great husband!
You are SOO SOO lucky!! I love that you shared some of her talk too. She is a favorite of mine too. What a treat to hear her speak. I know what you wrote is already food for thought for me.
Post a Comment