
For my birthday, I received the book, The Tale of Despereaux. I had seen the movie, but not yet read the book. I decided that I wanted to read it to my big girls. I was going to check with around with some friends to see if my girls were ready for a chapter book, but I was too excited, so I just started it.
Despereaux has been a perfect book to read chapter by chapter!!! Lizzie is just the right age to be excited about it and Miriam follows along pretty well. The chapters are very short and the perfect length for just before bed. I still let the girls choose a book after family prayer. We read those on the sofa on my lap, then we go to their room, say prayers and get in bed and then I read a chapter.
The other fun part is reading aloud. I really do enjoy it. It's fun to make the story come alive for my girls and try to engage their imaginations as I help them picture the story happening with my voice and actions. Tonight, Lizzie just paid me the best compliment that I had to share. She said, "That was a really sweet voice that you read with." My heart melted.
I already have a bunch of other chapter books that I want to read aloud to my kids and Depereaux wasn't even on the list, but I'm so glad that it is our first. We are thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully, they continue to love books through their whole lives!
What are some of your favorite books to read aloud to small children?




4 comments:
Yea!! When you said you wanted to read the book, I didn't know Lizzie and Mimi would benefit too. So is it true that the book is better than the movie??? I remember reading aloud The Secret Garden to you and Shannon in the bedroom in Lakewood. That was quite a project, but I think you enjoyed! The accents were quite a challenge for me, though ;-)
Happy Last b-day. One of my fav dvd is Sweet Home Al. I love it so much.
So cute! This makes me want to start doing it together more often. I read James and the Giant Peach aloud to Tanner and he loved it! I now think I need to check this one out of the library :)
You are definetly teaching them to love books. My favorite childhood memories may be my mom reading to us. I also LOVED her voice when she read. Still do! What a sweetie Lizzie is to tell you that.
Post a Comment