Friday, November 6, 2009

Veteran's Day Ceremony

This morning, we went to the Veteran's Day Ceremony at Lizzie's school. It was really nice and very sweet. There was a color guard from the naval base, we said the pledge and then sang the national anthem. At the end of the anthem, they released a flock of white doves. It was pretty cool. They had a few guests such as the chief of police, the chief (?) of the county sheriff's department, and Captain Scott Heller USN.
Captain Heller was the guest speaker. He is an engineer on base and has two children attending the school. He talked about how important it is to do well in school. He also urged the kids to be honest and do the right thing. He explained that was integrity and it was very important, especially in serving our county. He explained that not all who serve our country are in the military, there are over 2,000 engineers on base and most of them are civilians. At one point, he asked the kids to raise their hands if they had a parent in the military and about a fifth of the kids raised their hands. I'm sure there are quite a few more who have civilian parents that work on base too.
After the speaker, they had a bag piper play "Amazing Grace". Then they sang "This Is My Country" as they filed out to the beach. The kids each got a red carnation to throw in the ocean. The bag piper was playing on the beach and the Harbor Patrol Fire Boats were in the water too.
It was a great ceremony and I'm so glad we went down there. Mimi got to throw in a flower too and was such a good girl during the ceremony part. Rachel really enjoyed clapping for everything and screamed every time she saw a bird (which was often). The kids loved standing on the beach and watching the waves wash away their flowers. Then it was time to head back to class.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow. That's amazing. I've never heard of that kind of a Veteran's Day ceremony. Looks very cool. I'm sure half the kids had no idea how neat that was, but still. I'm glad you went too. Thanks for posting all about it.

Mom said...

I want to go to Hollywood Beach school and have a cool Veteran's Day ceremony. How absolutely wonderful of a ceremony. I wish our kids could get something as wonderful. Heck, I would love to attend something as wonderful. How nice for you and Lizzie (and Mimi and Rachel). See you tomorrow for the big B-day bash!!