Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Weekend

We had a nice weekend together. Saturday morning, Jim went and did the "Mormons Helping Hands" service project with the Oxnard half of our stake. I was just a lazy bum and tried to sleep in various places throughout my house. I think I did vacuum while he was gone though....I had to have something to show for my time!!!

In the afternoon, we went out to Mary's house. We did root beer tasting and also chocolate tasting. Then Rick made us seafood and chicken paella. Dinner was super yummy and we had a fun time hanging out together. By the time we got home, it was after 8, so we threw everyone in bed and got to work. Jim was in charge of getting the candy for the mothers in our ward. He had bought candy bars at Costco, but I told him they had to have a note or something on it. You can't just hand us a candy bar and think your done. So Jim was schooled in the fine art of ribbon cutting, tying and curling. We finally finished by 9:20 or so and settled down to watch a show before bed.

Sunday morning, I opted for sleeping in and having my breakfast for dinner after church. The girls woke up at 8 (don't worry, that was sleeping in) by singing bringing in their presents. Even Rachel said, "Happy Mother's Day!" in her way. :) Jim got out my bowling shoes for me to admire again (I can't wait for Friday) and I got to open a bowling bag the girls helped him pick out. At school, Miriam had cut out and glued together petals and a stem and then put a picture of her in the middle. It was really cute. She had also painted the wrapping paper. Lizzie had colored a little bear and there was a paper attached to it. So cute!
Church was good. We got there early. I was a little nervous because I didn't feel super prepared for my talk. But I was last and was counting on there not being a ton of time. The primary sang and did great. I sang the second part with the primary for "Mother Tell Me the Story"; I did okay. Unfortunately, I happened to catch a glimpse of a sister in the congregation crying and almost wasn't able to pull it off. By the end, I just about lost it, but it was the end. When we came back to our pew, Jim and Rachel we also coming back, Rachel was saying, "Momma, sing! Momma, sing!" Yep, Momma sang while you screamed.

I had enough time for my talk and I think it went alright. I probably could have shortened it a bit and it would have been better. The theme was "How Women of the Old Testament Influence Our Lives Today" and we had four speakers talking about Esther, Ruth, Sariah and Eve. I thought it was a nice meeting...and not just because I was part of it. Anyway, I survived primary and we came home and had some nice quiet time. I got to eat chocolate and read my book!

Jim got home around 4 and then the Ross' came over for 'breakfast' around 5. It was yummy and fun to visit with our friends. In the evening, I managed to finish my book while watching Cinderella with all three girls. It was another great Mother's Day.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

your talk definitely went well! I had never put all those things together about Eve before but there they are staring us in the face. And you did an amazing job of explaining them all...I just feel like I get up, stumble all over myself, then mumble and talk really fast when I speak. You did great!

sara said...

Nice! Being a mother I appreciate Mother's Day even more! It's nice to be pampered :). It sounds like your day was nice and I'm glad your talk went well!

Kate said...

You're a mommy I admire! Glad it was a good one! Not fair that you had to give a talk on Mothers Day. I had to once too. Glad it went well:)

Shannon said...

Sounds like a pretty good Mother's Day! I love that you got bowling shoes and a bowling bag. I'm slightly jealous. I love bowling and have always wanted to join a bowling league. Although I would take bowling with my family every Friday.

Tasha said...

Yeah for a good Mother's Day! It sounded nice. Glad your talk went well. I am a fan of men speaking on mother's day :) And fun to have breakfast for dinner :)