Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

We got to start our long weekend early since it was Jim's off-Friday. We left our house around 10:30 and headed to Orange County. There were some major freeway issues farther south from my parents' house and we started to feel the effects with about 10 more miles to go. (The 91 freeway was shut down the whole day due to a gasoline truck flipping over and exploding.) We got everything in the house and then I ran to get my hair cut!!

I got back around three and Mom came home from school shortly after. We ended up canceling our plans to go to the temple that evening. Jim and I had already bowed out since a tire had blown on my way home from LA the night before and I didn't make it home until super late. Then when we realized that the freeways everywhere were jammed, Mom and Dad canceled too. But we kept the babysitter and went to dinner instead! Mom had a gift card to CPK and I had never been. I loved my California Club pizza and Jim was a fan of his BBQ Hawaiian pizza.

Then we had to stop at Golden Spoon to satisfy my craving. I wish we had one closer to us. Finally, we ended up at Albertson's to get more milk, cereal and Charleston Chews to get through the rest of the weekend. ;) We spent the rest of the evening watching Jim install my parents' new Tivo. My sisters and I all chipped in to get them a Tivo for Father's Day/Mother's Day. But they had to wait until their "Installation Expert" could come down and put it in for them. They were super excited to start recording.
Saturday we took a slow morning. Then we went and visited my friend, Aimee, who had her first baby 4 weeks ago. It was so fun to hold her sweet baby and see her new fun house! Mostly he liked being held on your shoulder, so he fussed when the girls held him on their laps, but they were really excited to hold the baby. They also had a lot of fun decorating the 6' cat tree with all the cat toys and trying to lure the cat out. He did eventually come out and perch on the top.
After lunch, we put Rachel down for a much needed nap and the girls got to stamp and play with the new Barbie toys and clothes Grandma B recently acquired. When Rachel woke up, we put on swim suits and jumped into the spa. Mimi did great and was a little fish in the water. I can't wait for swim lessons again!
After our swim, we watched a movie and waited for dinner to be delivered. Mom and Dad attended the YM/YW auction and purchased a dinner for 6 and creme brulee for 6. They cashed both in that night! The dinner was baked ziti pasta, salad and bread. Soooo good!! Rachel was a big fan too, "More pa-pa!!" she kept saying. The creme brulee was also pretty amazing. After the girls went to bed, we watched "Night at the Museum 2."
Sunday morning it was church and then after lunch (leftover yummy ziti pasta) and a story from Grandpa Bob, we had to head home. The freeways were still a mess and it took longer than usual. So I'm glad we left when we did.

Today Jim is helping some people move, then we have to get a new tire for his car, I'm working on laundry, will run to the store later and then we'll go to our ward picnic for a bit. It's been a great weekend so far!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

So fun! I love your haircut too. Aimee's baby is such a cutie. I'm glad you got to go see him. Sounds like a great weekend. We had fun with Mel and Brad, but it's nice to be home. We have a busy week ahead of us. I'll call you tomorrow!

Whitney and Blake said...

It looks like you had a fun and eventful weekend! Too bad the freeways were so bad :/ But it sounded like you didn't let that spoil your trip! I wish we could have made a trip to California this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your haircut looks great, as usual:) Glad you had a fun weekend with family and not having to cook dinner!

sara said...

I'm glad you had such a fun weekend! It's always good to be around family. I love Rachel
s face full of pasta in the last picture...so cute!

Jennifer said...

So fun! You're girls are darling. And, love the hair!