Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Update

I've been told that my blog is getting stale. My lame excuse is that I've had my nose in a few different books the last couple weeks. I get sucked into books and I never want to come out for anything or anyone. I stay up way later than I should and then become a cranky mommy. I get annoyed when my children ask for things like a drink of water or when they need a bath. For that reason, I try to limit myself. But I got a huge stack from the library and had to get through them. I'm on my last one for a little while and I'm thinking I should pace myself. Anyway, here's what's been going on.


We went bowling again last Friday. We did a couple things differently this time. Jim and I got to wear our new bowling shoes which was fun. We got two lanes this time and only bumpers for the girls. I still had so much fun!! Jim and I bowled two games and the girls got through a game and a half. Miriam and Rachel pooped out towards the end, but Lizzie could have stayed much longer. The big girls were more independent this time. They could get a ball up to the ramp, aim it and push it down with little help from us. Rachel was still our main concern. Jim and I spent the whole time either bowling or helping the girls bowl, so it was more of a work out than a normal afternoon of bowling. But, I scored 117 and 116 with my new bowling shoes which I thought was pretty fantastic. Basically, I can't wait to go again. We might have to go every Friday.


Sunday, we got a new bishop in our ward. It always shakes things up a little bit and our new bishop is very different from our previous bishop, so it will be interesting working with him. Jim was very sad because both the bishop and the 1st counselor came from the elder's quorum; depleting his resources. But it was a nice sacrament meeting as we heard the previous bishop and his wife bear testimony and then the new bishop and his wife bear testimony.


Jim thought I should share about our FHE on Monday evening. I was trying to come up with a lesson and looked through the "Friend" online. They had an article about a primary that made little animated movies from Book of Mormon stories. Then it suggested you could make sock or paper bag puppets and do the same. So that was my original idea. Then I looked through the Gospel Art Kit to find a story that didn't have too many characters. I found a picture of King Benjamin on his tower and got a different idea.

So I told the girls about King Benjamin; that he was a righteous king and obeyed God. He was getting old and wanted to talk to his people, so he gathered them together and they all camped out facing the temple. I had already put a picture of the temple up high on a bookshelf and then we built a tent that faced the picture of the temple with chairs and a blanket. With everyone in the tent, facing the temple we talked about what King Benjamin told his people, "when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God." (Mosiah 2:17) We talked about how we can serve God by serving others. I'm pretty sure they just liked hanging out under the blanket, but hopefully, a little of the message got through too.


Lizzie got in the car after school on Tuesday and exclaimed, "I was wishing that I could be the Mom and my wish came true!!! I get to be the Mom!!!" After some questions, I realized that they are doing a play of "Jack and the Beanstalk" and she is the mom. I thought it funny that she would want the role and could see exactly why she would wish for it. To her, the mom holds the power and control (that she ultimately longs for) and so the mom in the play must be the one with the power and control. Anyway, she knows her little songs really well and I can't wait to see their play!

She also decided that she wanted to write a note to her teacher to thank him for being such a good teacher. She also wrote that she liked the songs in the play and that she liked it when he made her laugh. I thought it was very sweet.


While waiting for Miriam's school to start, she came over and told me that Peter's girlfriend was Lauren. Now there has been a lot of talk about all the girls liking Peter and wanting to be his girlfriend. I inwardly rolled my eyes and said, "Okay." When she came home, she informed me that she and Jordan made a big castle that was like a maze on the inside. Also, Jordan wanted her to be his girlfriend, but she said no, even when he asked again and again. I said, "Good girl, Mimi!" I'm hoping that her class next year won't be quite so into the whole boyfriend/girlfriend thing. It will be a different school and new group of kids, so we'll see!


And what to say about Rachel. That little girl just astounds me with how much she understands and then will turn around and say! She knows all our routines, which can be very helpful and she's usually pretty obedient. She loves to be read to, to watch just about any movie and to play with random toys in the girls' room. She is into taking something with her wherever we go: "Take book? Take baby? Take ____?" Whatever she can grab on her way out the door is good enough for her. She has learned to buckle the top buckle on her car seat and feels like such a big girl when she does it. Rachel also loves to sing and came home from church this week singing some new songs. I'm not sure what they were, but she was singing them for the next couple days. She likes to request the "Daddy Song" (I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home) and does all the actions. Then she'll request the "Juju song" (which I have never heard of) or the "Chloe song" or whoever else is on her mind. If Daddy has a song, then why doesn't everyone else?!?!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I had missed you! Thanks for the update! I love that you and Jim got your own bowling shoes. You definitely should go every Friday.

Bummer about Jim losing a few Elders. That's always rough. I love love that Lizzie loves school and wrote her teacher that note. So cute.

Also, way to go with the FHE lesson! I will be stealing that at some point in the future.

Tara and Tyler said...

Sounds like the Henshaws are having way too much fun. I think Gem and I should come live over there.

Grandma B said...

Jules really appreciated the fact that Rachel was singing the "Juju song". I'm not sure how I'm going to make it until Memorial day weekend to see you all, but fortunately, I lead such a crazy life, that weekend will be here before you know it.

Your family night lesson sounds great. Sometimes the best lessons are the ones inspired from someplace else, but tweaked to fit your circumstances. And yeah for Mimi saying NO to boys!! Keep it up Mimi for just another 14 or so years ;-)

Love to you all!!!