Monday, November 29, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a beautiful Thanksgiving Day. We got up, packed and headed down to Grandma and Grandpa's house. We got there before noon and helped get things ready. The big girls helped Auntie Jules finish her chores, while I helped out in the kitchen peeling and chopping potatoes. Dad was hard at work most of the day getting our feast prepared. He did the turkey, potatoes, and squash.
Then we anxiously awaited the rest of the family. Aunt Amy and her family came with Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Olson. Rich, Lance and Joyce came and Aunt LeeDean and her girls came. It was nice to have a full house and to see the cousins again! The food was super yummy! We had spagetti squash and grated carrots as our veggie, which was a fun, new flavor. And it looked so pretty too! Aunt LeeDean tried a new recipe for yams that had cranberries in it too; it was my favorite! It was a great balance of dishes and nothing was too heavy. I ate a lot and was full afterward, but not sick.
After dinner, we relaxed for a bit and then let the birthday people (Joyce and Lance) open their presents. Aunt Amy, Abby, Lizzie and Mimi played a few rounds of Skip-Bo and Uno together, much to my girls' delight. We ended up having 9 pies that evening (which worked out to about 1/2 a pie per person!) : 4 pumpkin, 2 cherry cream, chocolate satin, french apple, and raisin. Everyone was happy! After most of the family left, Jules did her promised mani/pedis for Lizzie and Mimi. But the girls all were all pretty stuffed up and Jim didn't feel good either, so instead of spending the night as planned, we decided to head home.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Looks like fun and sounds yummy :) It's so nice that you live semi-close to your parents.
I have to add that I love those pictures of Rachel in the mickey hat- adorable!

Shannon said...

Go you for taking so many pictures! I love seeing everyone, even if not in real life. :) I can't believe how grown up those Overson cousins are! Wow.

The food did look beautiful. Good job with the presentation Mom and Dad! Anyway, looks like a really fun, nice Thanksgiving!