Friday morning finally came. Miriam, Rachel and I went to the rental agency, turned in the paper work and got the keys! We drove right over to take a look. It was better than I had remembered. The yard was beautiful, the house was big, I found more cupboards. We were really excited. Then we went over to the school and I got Miriam and Lizzie registered and ready to go for the following Monday. Later that day, I took Lizzie up to the new house to see it for the first time and this time I remembered the camera and took pictures. So this is how it looks all clean without our stuff mucking it up!
Here's the beautiful kitchen with the pull-out shelves!
Saturday morning, Jim and I were up early. We went and picked up the moving truck and donuts. I had called around the night before and we had a great turn-out of people to help us load up. It was really great. It turns out that we have a lot of stuff! The truck was packed tightly, and we packed up two more pick up trucks. We hauled all of that up to the new house and unloaded the pickup trucks that had followed us. Jim and I had enough time to grab some lunch before a few guys from our new ward showed up to help us unload. It was a lot of work, but we finally got the truck empty. So exhausted.
We took the truck back to Oxnard and returned it, then filled up the van with another load. We got that to the new house and managed to unpack enough stuff to take a shower and get ourselves looking presentable. Then we headed over to the beach to meet up with Jim's family for his brother's wedding. Nana had bought the girls new dresses, socks, shoes and purses for the occasion (and possibly Easter). They looked so sweet and were excited about their new clothes. Things ran behind, so we ended up at the restaurant. We eventually ate dinner, got the bride and groom married, cut the cake and got to go home. It was 9:45 by the time we got the girls in bed. Then we lost an hour to Daylight Savings.
Our new church meets at 9am, which normally is my favorite time, but it was rather painful this week. After some dry cereal and throwing on their dresses from the night before, we managed to make it on time. People in the new ward were very friendly. As we introduced ourselves, "Hi, I'm Jim," "I'm Joy," and shook hands, Rachel sat on my lap saying, "I Wachel! I Wachel!" and sticking her hand out. She was thrilled to be making new friends. As the bishop introduced us in sacrament, he told us to enjoy our week off from church assignments! But by the end of the block, Jim had an assignment in priesthood and I had signed up for stuff on the various clipboards floating around Relief Society, so there you go! Rachel loved nursery and the girls made friends in their primary classes, so it was a successful first week.
After church, we continued the unpacking process. Jim was like a machine: box after box! A family in the ward brought us a beautiful dinner that kept us going the rest of the day. It was really nice. We went to bed exhausted again, but a little more settled.
The rest of the week has been a blur. The girls are settling into their new classes, meeting kids, enjoying the new things at their school. I am very happy with both of their teachers. We have been getting more boxes unpacked every day. Today we finally put together Lizzie and Mimi's bed and will start putting their rooms together tomorrow. We also got the internet, tv and phone hooked up. We cross things off of the to-do list, but it still seems long. In the meantime, we are enjoying many things in our new home and area!!!




7 comments:
The house looks really nice! Score! On the one hand I can't believe you picked it out without Jim ever seeing it and on the other I can completely see Colin and I doing something similar. Sounds absolutely exhausting but hope you're getting settled in soon.
Great house!! Yeah, the worst of moving is over!! Have fun finding awesome places to store your stuff and really getting settled in.
Thats so great that you love your new place so much! It looks nice! Moving is a BIG pain but worth it in the end :)
Oh my gosh! That kitchen is fantastic! All those cupboards. And I love the little nook that faces out from the kitchen. That's your papers and phone and junk drawer space. I wish I had something like that. Instead it all collects at the end of my regular kitchen counter. :) I'm so glad everything went well with the move and that you're there! Can't wait to come see the house when we are out in CA this summer. Love you!
The house is just gorgeous!! Seriously. So fabulous. It looks perfect and so much cupboard space. I love love the kitchen. So very very fun Joy. I am so excited and happy for yoU!
I love the yard. Hooray for being able to send the kids outside!!!
What a fabulous house! The yard is huge...lots of space for setting up a little pool in the summer and sending the kids outside :) Isn't it funny how exciting cupboards are? Storage space is a must! Glad school and church went smoothly. Good luck continuing to settle in!
Post a Comment