Monday, July 18, 2011

Another FHE Post

Two weeks ago, it was another Monday night after dinner and Jim asked if I had any ideas for FHE. Not really. He said, what about the 10 commandments. Meh. I said, what about a scripture story. He said, okay, let's get out the flannel board ones. This was all fine and dandy, except for the fact that I could not remember where I had put the flannel board stuff!! I knew I had seen it in the new house, but I couldn't remember where. While looking, I came across something else and changed my lesson. Did I mention that the power was out this evening also?

I closed the curtains to make it darker and we gathered for FHE. After a song and a prayer, we read in Matt 5:14-16:
14Ye are the alight of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15Neither do men light a acandle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16Let your alight so shine before men, that they may see your good bworks, and cglorify your Father which is in heaven.

We talked about what it means to let our light shine and to be a good example to all those around us. To help them remember to let their light shine, I pulled out glow sticks (the ones I forgot to use on the 4th of July) and we played with those for the rest of the evening. I love it when spur of the moment ideas totally work!


Fast-forward to Saturday evening, about 10:30, when I remember that I haven't prepared my Sunbeam lesson yet. Opps! As I'm still sitting on the sofa, I think to myself, maybe I'll bring a flannel board story to help fill some time and do something different. Wait, I can't find my flannel board stuff. Darn. Then the lightning bolt flashes and I remember exactly where I put it all! Sometimes my brain makes me laugh, I know there's a lot of info in there it's just sometimes hard to access.

My Sunbeams loved my flannel board lesson on temples and had so much fun putting up the different pieces as we talked about what we do in temples, how we prepare to go to the temple, and what we need to do with our families to be a 'forever family'. I really do love my calling. Sometimes they try my patience, but they are sweet kids and very good.

No comments: