Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!!!

I feel like time is running out this summer. I try not to count the days, but I know that they are going to be gone quickly. We didn't do very much during the two weeks of swim lessons, they kind of wore us out! So I have a list in my head of the things I still want to do before the 's' word starts again.

Yesterday we went to our beloved Santa Barbara Zoo. We always have a good time and yesterday was no exception. I usually avoid the zoo in the summer because they run a day camp and it can be crowded. But we went with friends and weren't in a hurry to do or see anything in particular and it was just fun. We ended up staying much longer than usual as the kids played happily in the play area for almost an hour. We also watched the new show "How to Train Your Dinosaur", which was pretty cute and involved a rather large dinosaur on stage that came face to face with Mimi and Rachel. At the end of our trip, we stopped in the gift shop. Lizzie had brought her money and wanted to buy a souvenir. She ended up getting something for her and Mimi to share and something for our friends too. It was very sweet and generous of her.

But where are the cute pictures of such a fun adventure, you ask? Excellent question. When we arrived home, the camera said I needed to format the card. The pictures were lost. What a major bummer.

After the zoo, we went straight to Costco for our bi-weekly shopping trip. We shared a frozen yogurt and then I proceeded to fill my cart with the heaviest items I could find. I could barely get the cart going by the end and heaven help me if I needed to stop quickly! We made it home and got everything unloaded. I even made dinner and did an FHE lesson. We talked about pioneers, since Sunday was Pioneer Day. We talked about John and Ralph Snowball and some of the things they did. We also talked about how Nana and Papa are a different kind of pioneer since they were the first in their families to join the church. Then we looked at the books that my grandma put together with a little of her family history and some remembrances of her life. She made one for me and also one for each of my girls. They loved looking at their own copy and reading the stories about her.

In other news, our kitchen sink faucet broke Sunday evening. It has a spray nozzle on it that you can pull out. I never pull it out to use it, but it's there. Sunday night, I turned on the water and the nozzle shot out at me! Now our faucet pours like this. The plumber is coming today.
Also, Rachel is really into coloring these days. This was her paper that she brought home from nursery and colored at home. I thought it was pretty good for a just turned three year old. (Of course, I might be a little biased.) I am really excited for her to get to go to preschool this year. She is going to love it. She is so friendly and loves to talk to anyone and everyone. While we were waiting to meet our friends at the zoo, she greeted everyone walking in with, "HI!" "My name Rachel!" "HI!" She is a sweet girl and it's going to be fun to see what she'll do as she grows up!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I feel like summer is rushing by too. We leave for California THIS week!!! When we get back it will fully be August. Sigh. I'm glad you guys had fun at the zoo. And Rachel's coloring is impressive! She's going to love preschool. :)

Kate said...

Holy cow! I can't believe your baby is 3! And that mine is 4. Time flies.

elizabeth said...

Can't wait to see you all next week. So sorry about the zoo pics too!

Amy said...

Awww...I think Rachel and Hailey would be good friends! I think they're cut from the same mold. :) Too bad we're so far away.