Friday, January 30, 2009

Feeding Time

I have posted a ton this month and then just had a little break this week, not much going on. But I did want to share/record this. As I sat down to nurse Rachel the other day, Jim commented, "You really like nursing, don't you?" I thought about it for a minute and said yes. I nursed Elizabeth until she was about 10 months old and I found out I was pregnant with Miriam. I don't know how long I would have continued nursing her if I hadn't become pregnant. Elizabeth was a good nurser and my milk supply was fine, so it worked for us.

Miriam was another story. She was constantly pulling off, distracted, etc. My goal was to nurse her until she was 6 months and I was counting down the days by the end. But when we switched to a bottle, neither of my girls learned to hold it until they were almost a year old. I think I was part of the problem. I love feeding my babies! Whether it's nursing or a bottle, I love that sweet, quiet, cuddle time. Sometimes we just look at each other, sometimes we both close our eyes, we each have our own thoughts, but it is a time to connect and rest from other things.

I was lazy with Rachel in the beginning and didn't ever give her a bottle (with pumped milk) so now she won't take one. She still nurses great, my milk supply is fine and I don't mind, so we'll keep it up for awhile. Sometimes I wish she would take a bottle so that I could have a little more flexibility, but I have finally realized (with #3) how quickly this all goes by. In no time, she'll be eating on her own at the table and our daily cuddle times will be gone. So I try to just appreciate it while it's here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too true. You don't realize with your first couple that the time flies by and so just slow down and enjoy b/c it's just won't be that long until they are talking (back) and running around. Even so, when I started feeding you girls food, you all lost interest in nursing. I think the longest I lasted was 7 months, maybe only 6 months. Nonetheless, I miss those girls!! (And you too!!)

Tasha said...

I enjoy it too. I wish I had a little better milk supply, but am hoping to find a few tricks to help me out. But, I too enjoy that quiet time with them.