Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Blogging (or lack thereof)

I have noticed that there has been a lack of new posts lately. This is for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that we haven't been doing anything majorly fun or exciting lately. The girls are still cute and adorable, but I just haven't been running for my camera like a good blogger-mommy should. The other reason is that I have been focused on other things for the last few weeks.

I finally decided that I was fed up (ironic word choice) with the numbers on the scale and the way my clothes were fitting (or not fitting) and the way I felt a great need to avoid mirrors at all costs. I knew that I needed to make a change, but had been avoiding it for awhile. I realized that I had been hiding behind my kids in many areas of my life and it was time to stop. Oh, don't worry, I still feed them and dress them and get them where they need to go, but I have put myself a little higher on the priority list and also made myself accountable.

My biggest challenge was (and is) my snacking habit. I was eating non-stop all day long: a few M&Ms here, some chips there, a bowl of ice cream, some popcorn. It was scary how I tried to make food make me feel better. In order to break this habit I took some drastic measures and made some rules. I bought a 5lb bag of "bunny luv" carrot sticks. I was allowed to eat three meals a day and as many bunny luvs as I wanted. When I wanted to munch something while I watched TV, it was a big bowl of carrots. It took less than a week for me to decide that I would rather have nothing than have more carrots.

Along with the carrot/snack rule, I started writing down everything I ate, along with my weight and my blood glucose in a notebook. This has been really good for my diabetes. First of all, I get more accurate test results when I'm not eating non-stop. Secondly, having the notebook and my meter out reminds me to test, so I am testing more often. Testing more often means that I am keeping my sugars in better control.

As I broke my snacking habit, I loosened my snacking rules a bit. I am allowed unlimited carrots still, along with fresh fruit or a handful of almonds. I also still allow myself treats every so often, but the portions are much more appropriate. In the five weeks or so that I've been doing this, I've actually lost some weight and some of my clothes are fitting a little better.

I still have a long way to go. I still fantasize about chocolate chip cookies and bowls of ice cream. I still have to talk myself out of snacks all the time. But the difference is I can and I do! I never dreamed that I have as much willpower as I do and I try to stay focused on that. The next step is to start some exercise on a regular basis. I have been mulling over different ways of doing that. (Ways that I will actually do.)

*****

The other thing that has kept me busy has been housekeeping. I have forever been a bad housekeeper. I really, strongly dislike cleaning and usually only do it under extreme duress or guilt. However, I began to feel like an extreme slacker. I am a smart, very capable girl. I have a college degree and can do just about anything I put my mind to, why can't I do this? So I have made keeping my house clean a priority.

Please don't come to my house and expect to find it sparkling and shining now. I still have a ways to go. My goal is to clean things on a regular basis. I set a schedule and I've been able to keep to it for a month. It's not a strenuous schedule, by any means, but I have noticed that it's been easier to clean the areas after the first painful time.

So this is my explanation for my lack of blogging. It's amazing to me how these few things have consumed my thoughts and days. I have some fun things coming up, about which there will be some great pictures and posts. But know, in the meantime, that I am making efforts towards self-actualization and improvement and send your successful thoughts my way!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Big hi-five for you Joy! Not only trying to curb the snacking (a habit of a lot of us I would guess!) but on the house cleaning too! I know in my head that it is way easier if I regularly clean the house every couple days and not let things slide for over a week (or more). I'm just not good at being motivated to clean until something looks pretty bad.

Defiantly a new habit I need to be better at, especially before this little Lima bean comes into our home!

Hugs!

vdhfamtng said...

You can do it! We all feel like slacker moms now and then. One idea that worked well for us w/ eating cookies (though I admit I can see how this could potentially completely backfire) is to make a batch of cookie dough, roll it into a log, and then freeze it. This way, instead of eating an entire batch of cookies in one or two days, you can slice off just the number of cookies your family will eat and save the rest for another day. Also, if you hide the dough at the back of the freezer, then it isn't staring at you every time you open the door.

Gwen said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!! It's hard to take care of ourselves! I decided to take the plunge and sign up for an aerobics class in January. I actually like to excercise but I have the hardest time finding time to do it with the kiddos around. It's a 6 a.m. class and it has been SO worth every penny! It is my time of the day that I can go do something for myself BY MYSELF!!! And Greg has been great to get Lydia up and ready for school while I'm gone. I haven't necessarily lost the weight that I would like too (I'm still working on my snacking habits ;) but I feel so much better and stronger.
Tomorrow I will have to go buy myself a bag of carrots!!! :)

Oh, and I started out the season with a 5K in April and have a few more lined up this summer. I'm NOT a runner, I repeat, NOT A RUNNER. I enjoy brisk walks and steady but slow jogging. So I'm definitely not out to win any medals, but it keeps me motivated to exercise and it's a huge sense of accomplishment. It's another way I try to stay in shape.

Shannon said...

You know how amazingly proud of you I am. You are seriously motivating me to do so much better. Whenever I have reached for a fatty snack lately, I ask myself if I really need it. Then I remind myself that if you don't need it then I don't need it.

Granted, having my wisdom teeth out has been helping to curb my eating. I attempted to eat half a grilled cheese and it about killed me today, so I will be sticking with slim fast, yogurt and bananas for another couple days, but still. I really wanted you to know how awesome you are. It's really hard to change the way we do things every day, so WAY TO GO!

PS-I am still an advocate of Donna Richardson if you're looking for an at home workout. I bet Mimi would do it with you too. :)

Ben and Robbie and family said...

You go girl! Good for you Joy! You've got me motivated to do better!

Aimee Habben said...

I'm rooting for you Joy and your self-improvement! I discovered the little laughing cow cheeses are pretty yummy if you're looking for another snack. You are such an amazing role model for your girls!

Laura said...

Good job! Losing weight is one of the hardest battles out there. I'm excited about your success. Another favorite snack of mine is celery and peanut butter. I'm not crazy about celery, but it's so yummy with peanut butter. And it fills me up and is better than a granola bar if I need a mid-afternoon snack. Good luck!

Olsen's 7 said...

AWESOME Joy! You are an inspiration. Loosing weight is soooo hard. Just don't eat too many carrots because your skin will turn orange, no joke. Eat other veggies too :) If anyone can do it, it's you!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya about no time to exercise. If you find something that works for you, lemme know...and keep up the good work!!!

The Curnow Family said...

That's so exciting!! Being determined and then seeing the weight come off is the best feeling, Brad and I have just started that too! We calorie count together and do different exercising things! My goal this summer is to better clean my house, now with 4 of us in the house and 2 that don't pick up anyhthing it's been a lot more of a motivator! Keep up the good work! It only gets easier....so i've heard about dieting!