Tuesday, June 1, 2010

New Fun Favorite!!

I tried a new recipe for our ward potluck picnic yesterday and it was a big success!! I had found the recipe a long time ago and I can't even remember how or why I came across it. I had to do some searching to find it again, but it was totally worth it. You can find the original on allrecipes.com, but I'm giving you my version.

2lb ground beef
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 C mayonnaise
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
36 Hawaiian sweet rolls

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix together ground beef and onion soup mix in a large skillet. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly and evenly browned. Drain well and rinse. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
3. Stir the mayo and cheese into ground beef mixture.
4. Slice each set of 12 rolls in half, while still attached together. Set the bottom half on a piece of aluminum, with enough room around the edges to fold up on the sides.
5. Spread the ground beef mixture evenly across the sets of rolls. Place the tops back on. Wrap all the way around with another piece of aluminum foil.
6. Bake until the burgers are heated through and the cheese melts, about 30 minutes.
These were the perfect thing to take to our potluck. I kept them in the foil until ready to serve, people could easily pull them apart and didn't need utensils. They would also be great as an appetizer or for "game day". Some healthier options are to use whole wheat rolls, light mayo, and low fat cheese. You can use any roll, but it's much easier to fill the Hawaiian rolls. Check out allrecipes.com for more variations!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Mmm those look good! I will have to remember to try that for a future ward potluck. Thanks for sharing!

sara said...

Those look delicious! It's always nice to find good recipes, especially for picnics!

Tiffany -- the mommy said...

These look yummy!!!

Whitney and Blake said...

That looks so good! I love getting new recipes! We will have to try this one out soon.

Anonymous said...

My kids would love this, thanks! It's going on my menu next week :)