Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Rest of the Holiday

Valentine's day started off so well, but then it went downhill for the middle. Luckily, it had redeemed itself by the end of the day. After dropping off Lizzie at school, I took my car to the dealership. It needed an oil change and a major tune-up. I still had one free car rental left, so I used that. It worked out great to get a Chrysler Town and Country, which is really just a nicer version of my Grand Caravan. But by the time I did all that and got home, it was 9:30 or so.

I took Mimi to school at noon and then stopped at the grocery store to get the chicken I needed for our dinner. I came home and worked on laundry and heated up my lunch. Just as I was walking out to the kitchen to eat, the Mimi's teacher called to say that she wasn't feeling good. So we hauled into the car and drove back to the school. I went in and talked with her for a bit; I really didn't think she was that sick and they were doing all sorts of fun things with their 6th grade buddies for Valentine's day. She said she was feeling better and wanted to stay. Fine. As I was leaving, I ran into a parent from Lizzie's class and realized it was time for her party, so I walked back in to help since I was already there.

Rachel was pretty good and we ended up staying for the whole party. Our carpool buddy was sick and I had to pick up Lizzie anyway, so I thought it was all working out pretty well. By the time we got home, I was STARVING and my sugars were low. I did more laundry and then realized there was a message on the machine! They had called while I was still at the school, Miriam was crying and not feeling good. Grrr. I felt like such a bad mom and I still didn't feel good anyway from my sugars and I had just put Rachel down for a nap. Double grrr. We hauled down there again and picked up Miriam. She was fine by the time I got there, but the teacher said it had been d-r-a-m-a. Well, that is her middle name.

Oh yeah, I was still dealing with phone calls from the dealership and laundry and FHE and dinner and taxes through this whole day. It finally calmed down once everyone was home. We got through homework and I taught piano and life was good again. Jim came home and we gave the girls our presents for them. I gave them a "woodkin" doll that you can dress up by putting different pieces of fabric under the cut-out. Jim gave each girl a candy for them: Lizzie got Nerds, Miriam got Sweetarts, and Rachel got gummy Lifesavers. They also got conversation hearts, a kazoo, and a bouncy ball. Jim gave me a beautiful necklace called a blister pearl. He also got two birds with one stone and gave me a chocolate flower. ;)

Dinner was good and we just relaxed the rest of the evening while the girls played. So it turned out to be decent day after all...just not what I expected!



3 comments:

Shannon said...

Ooh I love your necklace! Good job Jim! I'm so glad that the day improved. :)

Tasha said...

Yes, that did sound like a down in the middle. Glad the rest of the day was fun and good though!! And fun you got to go to Lizzie's class party :)

Anonymous said...

I like your necklace! Sounds like you had a CRAZY day. Glad you were able to relax at the end and recharge.