Thursday, February 17, 2011

Reversos

I picked up a new book at the library this week. I was drawn to it by the illustration on the front, but then have been pleasantly surprised by the poems inside. It is a collection of 'reversos' poetry with the theme of fairy tales written by Marilyn Singer and beautifully illustrated by Josee Masse. The poems can be read up and down (line by line). They are pretty clever and usually tell the tale from two different sides. I think my favorite is about Sleeping Beauty

Typical.
Hacking through briars,
looking for love--
the prince at work.
But I have to be
sleeping,
never
partying,
never
out in the world.
It's no fun being
in a fairy tale.

In a fairy tale
it's no fun being
out in the world,
never
partying,
never
sleeping.
But I have to be
the prince at work,
looking for love,
hacking through briars.
Typical.

And the illustrations are so fun; the girls keep pulling it off the shelf all day long to look at the pictures and have me read the poems to them!

No comments: