I was a little embarrassed when I realized that my last three posts had many exclamation points at the end of the titles. But I didn't want to stop the trend yet. It really was an exciting trip and we had so much fun.
Thursday, we had our third early morning wake-up call. We followed our routine from the past two days and ordered our breakfast the night before, so it was delivered about 10 minutes after we got up. Breakfast was always really good. Eggs, potatoes, lots of bacon, cereal, yogurt, toast, and chocolate milk!! Then we got dressed, packed our sunscreen, bug-spray, and camera and headed down to the lobby to catch our bus.
Our last tour was to Coba. Our main reason for going to these ruins was because you are still allowed to climb on them and we really wanted to do that. Coba is still in the jungle; the only parts cleared were the pathways and the ruins themselves and not even all the ruins had been cleared. There were a few stellas that had been found among the ruins and put on display along the paths. There was also another 'ball court' and we were able to walk around some of the complex.




It was about 2 miles out to the big pyramid and it was HOT!!! and it was HUMID!!! The rain storm had finally gone and the sun was out. We finally made it to the big pyramid and I just started climbing while trying not to think about what I was doing, how high I was going and how I was going to get back down. (
For those of you who don't know, I have an almost paralyzing fear of heights.) It was over 70 ft tall and rather steep, but we both made it to the top.

Jim was totally awesome and managed to pull out the camera and snap a few shots of our view from the top!




Then we had to face the daunting task of going down!! There was a rope along the steps, to which I kept a firm grasp. I went down on my bum like a toddler learning the stairs. But eventually, my arms got tired, so I would stand and go down for a bit until it got too steep or slippery. By the time we got to the bottom, our legs were jello and we were exhausted. We paid the 8 bucks for the tricycle ride back to the front gate and it was worth every penny!


Jim found a replica of the "Stella 5" that he wanted. We talked her down to 100 pesos and then we picked out an ice cream bar to cool us off. Jim had mango and I had chocolate: yum! The Mayan restaurant we ate at had chicken pibil and pork pibil, which is just the meat slow cooked in an amazing sauce. It was so good and I ate plenty! We actually watched "Iron Man:2" on the bus ride home, which was fun.
By the time we got home, we were super-duper sore. It pretty much hurt to move anything. We were very glad that we hadn't done Coba earlier in the week. But we were greeted with this beautiful heart and rose towel creation when we got to our room! We still had some time before dinner, so we went downstairs and relaxed by the infinity pool with a virgin strawberry daiquiri. Then we showered and dressed nice for another fancy gourmet dinner on our last night in Cancun.
4 comments:
Wow! What a fun trip for you guys. Brett and I went there on our honeymoon, so beautiful. Lucky!
It's just gorgeous!!! I love the photo of the view from the top of Coba. How amazing to be able to see all that wild jungle. Glad you had fun and got to sightsee and relax.
Oh so much fun Joy!!! I loved sitting here catching up on your trip. What a great place to go for your 10 year anniversary. We really are planning a fun 10 year thing too. That is a good idea for us to start saving now. I am going to talk to Brian about it tonight. I have heard a couple people say they loved their all inclusive trips. I need to look into it!! Very very fun!
Many exclamation points are a good thing...it means you had a fabulous trip:) Good for you climbing to the top. I felt sore just looking at the pictures, yikes!
Post a Comment