Friday, December 14, 2012

Heartbreak

My heart hurt on December 14th when so many loved ones were needlessly taken from their families.  The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was almost unbelievable.  I read the reports on the internet, but I couldn't bear to turn on the news and hear them report the facts over and over.  Rachel was home with me and the big girls have a half day on Fridays.  On Jim's 'off-Friday', he walks to the school and walks home with them.  Every other Friday, I let them walk home by themselves.  This was one of those walk home alone Fridays.  I literally waited at the door.

The pain and hurt those families went through still brings me to tears as I write this post over two months later.  Our country now thinks we need more gun control laws and less guns in the hands of responsible citizens.  But I feel the problem goes deeper than that and won't be solved with more legislation.  I don't have the answers but I do know that our Heavenly Father loves all of his children.  He welcomed his children home and He comforted their families as well.

I had already planned to go run some errands with the girls that afternoon, but we stopped for lunch too and I took a moment to enjoy the time I have with them.  I know they will be grown up and living their own lives all too soon, but I hope that they will remember how much I love them.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Ya I still tear up everytime I think about that horrible day. Glad you were able to enjoy the time with your girls. They sure are precious.