Monday, December 7, 2009

Who Turned Out the Lights?

In my previous post, I mentioned the rainy day we had. The weather continued to worsen. As I worked on getting dinner ready, Jim was playing Old Maid and checkers with the girls. We decided that we would postpone our deliveries until Wednesday. Then the lights went out. Then they came back on. Then they went out again.

While Jim was getting the flashlights out of our bedroom (luckily the girls like to play with them, so we keep them handy) I got Rachel out of her high chair and told the girls to stop running around before they hurt themselves. Rachel didn't really like the dark. She fussed and then was quiet. Then she said, "Boo!" When I said "Boo!" back to her, it made her cry. She was quiet for a bit and then said "Boo!" again. (Silly girl.)

Jim finally got a flashlight for everyone. Since Jim doesn't like the smells of candles, I don't really have ANY candles in my house. However, I knew there was an emergency one buried in some upper cupboard. So we fished it out and lit three wicks and sat down to dinner. Luckily, it was all heated up and we were about to sit down anyway. We enjoyed dinner by candlelight/flashlight. Then we realized that it was just after six and we still had all night to entertain our children.

The first idea was to watch a show on Daddy's iphone. They snuggled on the bed while I searched for some more candles. I managed to find three! Eventually, Rachel lost interest in jumping on her dad and sisters on the bed. The light in the girls' room was on very dimly (not sure what that was about) so Rachel and I played in there. We all ended up in the front room after awhile. We sang Christmas songs and nursery rhymes and looked at books until we finally were able to put the girls to bed.
The lights still weren't on, so Jim and I watched Pysch on the laptop until it ran out of power. We were about to blow out the candles and just go to bed (9pm) when the lights finally came back on! I sneaked into the girls room to turn off their light (which was now really bright) and then went back to the kitchen to do the dishes that I could now see. So that was our little adventure with no power for over three hours in the evening. I think we should invest in a few more emergency candles for next time.

6 comments:

Dad O. said...

Your Coleman camp lantern is also a pretty good source of light.

Tasha said...

That is a fun adventure! Love it. Glad you were able to find the candles. :) ANd that dinner was already ready. Yesterday was pretty rainy here too. Kind of crazy fun weather.

Shannon said...

3 hours is a long time to be without power. The bigger problem here when we lose power is that we lose heat and it gets cold pretty quickly. More candles would probably be a good idea. We have a rechargeable flashlight that you just have to wind to charge. That's pretty handy. So are laptops and cell phones . . . until they run out of battery power. Blah. Anyway, sounds like you guys weathered the storm just fine. :)

Jamie Jo said...

I was just about to comment on your rainy day post and say, "Stop sending the rain our way, because it turns into snow!" I thought having a baby in tow for errands was hard enough, but add snow and... well... I've been home for over 48 hours now because it seemed easier (I am about to make a mad dash to anywhere at this point since Rebecca won't nap).
You did great entertaining three kids for three hours without power. I better take your lead and get more candles soon if your weather does hit us as hard. :)

vdhfamtng said...

You know what you should get? Lanterns! Like the ones you'd use for camping. You don't even have to buy kerosene, you can get electric ones now. We have one we use for camping and that baby SHINES!! I think investing in camping gear can be great even if you don't camp 'cause it can come in handy when the power goes out.

The Curnow Family said...

Brad loves candles whenever our power goes out he's always excited to light them, we have a swear like 50 candles and no place to put them so they sit it bags in a closet.. a need a few drawers or something!