Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New Calling

This past Sunday, I was released as secretary in the Primary presidency and called as Primary President. I was really surprised at the call, but grateful for the opportunity to serve. I feel like it will take me a while to get a handle on all that I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not as familiar with the primary program as I was with the YW program when I was called to that auxilary. Luckily, there is a lot of really helpful information at lds.org, which I've been making good use of.

Actually, I was really nervous when I was called. For the past two years I've been in primary, but mostly just behind the piano. Any time I was up in front of the kids, I didn't do very well. It was my month to conduct in the previous presidency's rotation, so I had already planned to do sharing time. I really wanted it to go well. I read through the material given and then thought about the group of kids in our primary. We meet combined (no "junior" or "senior" primary) and so the challenge is to engage both the younger kids and the older kids. I felt like it went really well. All the kids were engaged, I kept it simple, their scriptures were out (one of my goals), and they were able to apply the principle to their lives.

Now I have to start preparing for next week. There is still a lot of work to be done and a few challenges to overcome. I still need a councilor, two teachers, an activity day person and a cub scout leader...yikes! But the Lord will provide. I have already seen His hand at work as I do this calling. I know that the primary program is important. It's amazing to watch these kids' testimonies grow. Our kids are also so good about bearing their testimony and setting a great example for others. I'm excited to see what this year will bring!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

that's what i get for being late...good luck in your calling! Rob's the cubmaster so if you need help with the cub scout thing, let us know!

Carly said...

You'll be great! New callings can always be intimidating though... so hang in there while you're learning the ropes!

Love you.

Shannon said...

You are going to be a fabulous Primary President! You always have great ideas and the Lord will help you. Good luck getting everything in place and let the fun begin! Love you!

Gwen said...

Good Luck! And I really do mean that since I've been in your shoes! It is definitely an overwhelming feeling at first, but it will get easier, I promise. And I hate to break it to you, but you will probably NEVER have a fully staffed primary :( there are just too many positions to fill and it always seems like once you have them all called, someone needs released. That was probably the hardest part for me. But ENJOY those kids!!!! It's the VERY best part of the calling, getting to teach all of them and love them on a regular basis. You will be great!!!

Unknown said...

This was me this time last year! Primary encompasses so much - what help(s/ed) me most was just focusing on one chunk at a time, and letting the rest of the Primary cogs just roll until I could address them. It has been wonderful to see the inspiration the Lord provides as you try to execute His program for the kids.

You will be a great President!

Tasha said...

I am so excited for you!! I loved being in Primary. Loved it. The Lord will help you learn to talk infront of the kids. And yes, you will CONSTANTLY be calling people to callings. That was hard on me, but I did learn a lot. I know you will be amazing.

reddladybug said...

you'll be great!