In 1995, the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints issued a proclamation to the world, titled "The Family". For a full copy of the proclamation, please click HERE. Since then, members of the church have had opportunity to study these inspired words and share the message. A few weeks ago, I wanted to do an FHE on the proclamation and found this awesome series of lessons. (Click HERE.) As written, they are great for youth and up. You could even use them as lessons for a husband/wife FHE. They have been a great foundation for me to modify and make appropriate for my 5 and 6 year old, and I will probably come back to them in a couple years and teach them again at a different level.
Last night's lesson was the fourth paragraph which states: “The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully-wedded as husband and wife.”
So when Jim asked me what the lesson was on, I replied, "The Law of Chastity." He was a little surprised, but I assured him it would be age appropriate. To start the lesson, I said I was going to show them God's greatest creation and I held a mirror up in front of each of the girls. You should have seen the smile on their face as they realized they were each a miracle. We talked about what a special thing it is that we can bring children into this world. Then I showed them some pictures from our wedding day. I reminded them that Mommy and Daddy got married in the temple. Then I showed them a picture of our family and said that after we got married, then we had a family. I explained that Heavenly Father wants us to get married first (in the temple) and then to have children.
Then we read a story about a little boy and the things he did in a day. If he made a good choice, they put their thumbs up. If it was a bad choice, they put their thumbs down. Then we talked a little bit about choices and consequences. I wrapped up the lesson by reminding them of the order Heavenly Father wants us to do things: get married and then have children. So if you're looking for a way to teach the law of chastity to a 5 and 6 year old, here it is: get married first, then have babies.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Wow this is great Joy!
That is great, I love it!
I am totally gonna have to use this one! it sounds awesome!
You always have good FHE ideas! I like that you are teaching about families through the proclamation. It's not a terribly complicated revelations, but it is terribly important. Love the "chastity" lesson! :)
Such a good idea! I must admit, we're not really good at FHE with Becca right now, but I'm going to remember this for the next few years. Thanks for sharing!
I just love that. I am going to try and remember this one for next week. It is a perfect way to start teaching it.
I has been foreve since I have been on your blog looks like you have been having a lot of fun. Your girls are so cute, you are an awesome mom!
Post a Comment