Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Store Closing

Our local Border's book store is closing. I'm actually pretty bummed since it is my preferred book store. But I wanted to take advantage of everything being on sale, so the girls and I stopped by this morning.

I let them pick out a couple things. Of course, they chose the cartoon books (Scooby-Doo, Little Einsteins, etc.) so we compromised: one cartoon book and one real book. Miriam chose a Scooby-Doo and a new Fancy Nancy book. Lizzie was really excited to find a ton of Magic Tree House books. She finally narrowed it down to two and a Little Einstiens book.
Rachel played the fickle toddler the whole time. She would claim undying devotion to a book only to toss it down 30 seconds later to claim undying devotion for another book. I had her in the stroller so she couldn't run away or grab everything, but she managed to scoot herself over to the shelf and find a Pinkalicious floor puzzle. While I said I only wanted to buy books and not 'stuff', the puzzle was pretty cool, and I knew that some of the books the big girls were getting, she would read too. She stayed devoted to the puzzle until almost the very end when she was distracted by a Tangled book that had the little sound effects along the side. She's pretty obsessed with "Geputzel" right now, so I gave in and bought the book and the puzzle (which she did all by herself--no sisterly or parental help involved).
I also found some good classics for the girls that we can read aloud together and they will be able to read in a few more years. Then I parked the girls in a chair to read their books for a minute while I searched out some of my favorites. I found some Meg Cabot favorites that I've been wanting to own and a copy of the Bronte sisters' books all in one and I also bought Pride and Prejudice and Emma. The sale wasn't really good enough to justify all of these purchases, but I am a sucker for books.

4 comments:

Tara and Tyler said...

Hooray for moving!! Good luck packing. I love that puzzle you got for Rachel it is awesome. I admit that I would never be caught dead paying full price from a book store for books, that is probably why Borders is going under. Sorry about that.

Shannon said...

I could spend hundreds of dollars in Borders. Buying books is so much fun! Speaking of which I have a Barnes and Noble groupon I need to use. Perhaps a little shopping trip is in order for me this week. :) Can I just tell you how excited I am to someday own Fancy Nancy books? They are so cute! I hope Talia likes them when she is bigger. Also, I'm way impressed with Rachel's puzzle skills! What a big girl!

Unknown said...

What fun! And I agree - books are purchases I can always justify.

elizabeth said...

Apparently our Borders had lines around the whole store. . . I hope yours wasn't has bad as that. Rachel looks like such a "kid" with her stickers on her face next to her puzzle. I really can't wait to see you all again. I think I'm having withdrawals. AND I can't wait to see your "new to you" house!! Love to all!!