We missed storytime this week, since my car was stuck in my garage that morning. As we thought about a family activity, we decided it would be fun to take Daddy to our library. As luck would have it, the grouchy librarian was at the desk when I had to turn in the book that Rachel ripped a page out of. After needlessly making me feel guilty, the rest of our visit was nice.Lizzie is right on the brink of learning to read and is very interested in books, words, letters, sounds and writing right now. It has been so much fun to expand on the stories we read. We took her to a Magic School Bus exhibit (one of her favorite series) at the science museum and also visited an exhibit featuring an author/illustrator of some new books. Last time at the library, she was so excited to find a Magic School Bus book that she hadn't read yet.
Today, she chose a couple books and then I found a unicorn book for her. She decided shortly after her 4th birthday that her 5th birthday would have a unicorn theme. Other than a birthday party, she has shown no interest in unicorns. Ever. So I thought maybe it was time to drum up some interest. She was also super excited to find a Magic School Bus DVD!! (Luckily it wasn't the one we already bought her for her birthday.)
Miriam chose all board books. She claimed that she was going to share some of them with Rachel. I had to explain that Rachel wasn't allowed to touch library books. (See first paragraph.) Mom even found a couple books that looked interesting.I'm so grateful for our little local library. I'm looking forward to the summer reading program this year. Growing up, my mom did our "summer reading program", which consisted of a scoop of ice cream for every 10 books we read. (We liked this better than whatever the library was offering.) We would go to the library and check out our 10 books every week. Then we would get to pick out our favorite flavor at Thrifty's, sit outside and try to eat it before it melted.
I am loving watching my girls learn and grow in all sorts of different ways. It is so fun and satisfying. I hope my love of reading is something they remember and I hope they will enjoy good books for the rest of their lives!




4 comments:
Yea!! I love your blog on the library. I bought some books today at the garage sale too. I bought some Junie B books for the girls when the get a little bigger b/c they came out after you were in school. I also found one of my favorite books that I have in the grandkids room, but it's all falling apart. I also added to the boy collection of books with some truck board books. I too can't wait for the girls to come to my house and lose themselves in books in the grandkids room!!
That is so much fun to go to the Libary. I have not dared the trip with Andrew yet but I think this summer we could go to the story time and let him pick out a book or 2 I think he might still want to rip pages too.
Books really are so fun. We have been really into Dr. Seuss lately. We've read both Horton books, The Lorax (for Earth Day), and Sneetches. Anyway, we have the Going on a Bear Hunt book. Weston quite likes it. I will have to grab a Magic School bus book this week. I bet he would love it.
I also hope to pass along a love of reading. Libraries are the best. I love ours too. I think passing along the love of reading starts with just what you are doing.
PS-Weston often tries to pick board books claiming they are for Dav. :)
I too love the library. It sounds like you have a really nice one too. I love hearing how much Lizzie is learning. I need to get tanner a little more modivated. I too remember our reading programs over the summer. They were rewarded with Thifty ice cream too. Our Mom's must have beenin on this together. I loved doing it too. I think I am going to start up a fun reading program with Tanner. Maybe it will involve some writting stuff too since he struggles to enjoy that too much. We are off to stroy time in just a couple hours!
Post a Comment