Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Spring Break: Day 7

This morning we visited the Ventura County Museum. I was all excited about the books I got the girls for Easter. They are both by Simms Taback and I first heard Joseph Had a Little Overcoat at our library's storytime. As I was thanking our librarian for the great recommendation, she mentioned that there was an exhibit featuring his illustrations at the VCM. The exhibit actually featured 6 children's authors/illustrators from Ventura county. It was really fun to see some of their original work, especially when we had just read some of the books!

This is the Happy Meal box that Taback designed in 1977.
This is the book Lizzie got for Easter.
There were some costumes based on characters from the books on display. Lizzie thought this outfit looked more like the king of China. That is because she was more influenced by the movie we watched that morning (Mulan II).
The stroller buddies.
In the book, Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, Joseph's coat gets "old and worn" and so he makes something new out of it. He continues this through the book until he has nothing left and then he writes a story, proving that "you can always make something out of nothing." They had a cute display with Joseph's overcoat and all the things he made as the old ones became worn. Lizzie decided she wanted to wear everything at once. It was pretty hilarious.



That afternoon we took Miriam to get her first hair cut. I finally had to cut off some of those beautiful curls. I didn't cry, but I think it makes her look older. We'll see how it does tomorrow when I get to do her hair!

Before:
I LOVE those soft kissable cheeks of hers!!!
I caught her telling me something funny. Her real smile is so cute!
The finished product:

5 comments:

Mom said...

There's still a little curl left at the bottom. She's is still just so darn cute!! Can't wait to see you on Friday!!

Shannon said...

Another fun day. That museum looks really great for kids. It's fun that those are local authors too.

Ok, Mimi looks gorgeous with her hair cut. It really does make her look a little older, but that's ok. She is such a pretty girl. Love that real smile. :)

Olson Family said...

awww all the girls are just getting soo big!! first lizzie with her no bangs and now mimi with her hair cut. when you start putting rachel's hair in little pony tails i am going to die!! soo cute!

Tasha said...

So pretty!! She does look older though. Funny how that happens with just a hair cut. I loved reading all about your Easter and Easter Egg hunts. Sorry I haven't commented earlier. I think my brain isn't functioning right these days. Love how your Easter turned out and everyone looked SO cute on easter!!

Amy said...

I don't feel so bad any more. Cute hair cut <3