Sunday, June 13, 2010

Finally Some Park Pictures

We decided to do the park again on Friday afternoon. It was sunny and Daddy was home; two great reasons to head to the park. And I remembered my camera and snapped a couple pictures this time.

Miriam's horsey tricks.

Lizzie was "practicing" pushing Rachel on the swing. (?)

Rachel spent at least 15 minutes on the swing again. Daddy makes her go REALLY high.
One of Lizzie's friends from school was there and they had fun running around and playing. We also ran into another family from our ward having a cookout. We were sorely tempted to crash their dinner, but we already had planned on El Pollo Loco. After dinner, we came home and put everyone to bed. Our RS president called me at 8:30 asking if she could put some pork in my oven. So I watched "500 Days of Summer" while the Kalua Pig cooked. She came back around 11 to pick it up.

Saturday morning, I went down to the church around 9 to help cook food. Our stake has volunteered to provide lunch one Saturday a month at the Ventura Rescue Mission. So we provide food for about 300 men every 9 months or so. The Relief Society is in charge of preparing it all and the Priesthood transports it and serves it up. This time we did Kalua Pig, rice, potato salad, brownies and lemonade. It's a huge amount of organization and work for our RS pres and she did an amazing job!!! Anyway, I helped cook rice in a dozen rice cookers, shred pork, transfer incoming potato salad to the tubs we were using to transport the food, and cleaned rice pots. Jim came with the girls as we were finishing up. I took them home while he went and served the food.

It was pretty uneventful the rest of the day. Sunday was just another Sunday. I did make some extra efforts with the girls' hair and they looked quite adorable. Also, Rachel and Miriam happen to fit into matching dresses right now, so that was fun too. It got a little hairy in primary as we were missing two teachers, another class was already being taught by a member of the presidency, and my secretary was gone. Since we were meeting separately as junior and senior primary, it meant that we couldn't cover a class AND do sharing/singing time. Amazingly enough we managed to get it all covered. This was the first time we met separately and we're going to start doing that on a more regular basis. It went well, but it means a lot more work doing sharing and singing time twice! (For those of you who have large wards and do this all the time, I know I sound wimpy. But this was a big change for us.)

In other fun Sunday news, Rachel has developed an aversion to nursery....unless one or more of her parents are present. Nice, huh? Jim stayed at first and tried to sneak away, but she just screamed and cried when she figured out the mean trick that had been played on her. Jim ended up having to miss most of priesthood. Not good.

After church, we had a late lunch. Jim took Miriam home-teaching with him, Rachel took a nap and Lizzie and I put together her goodie bags for her class. Kids sometimes bring a goodie bag for the class on their birthday and Lizzie has been really looking forward to this. Her birthday is the last day of school and they are combining with the morning kindergarten every day this week except Monday. So we're taking the goodie bags on Monday. She actually had a lot of fun putting all the fun things we picked out in the bags. I found everything (except the fruit-by-the-foot) at the dollar store, so it ended up being pretty cheap too.
I had to wake Rachel up from her nap this afternoon so that she'll go to bed tonight and not wake up too early tomorrow! When I saw how she was sleeping, I grabbed the camera because it made me laugh. Her arm is actually sticking up in the air because that teddy bear is so big. Then she was holding her burp cloth in the "comfort grip". Every kid has one and this is her's.
That was our weekend. We're looking forward to the last week of school, the first day of summer vacation and Father's day!!! Hope you all enjoyed your weekend too.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

This is our last week of school too. Out on Tuesday. That is cute Lizzie gets to hand out goodie bags for her birthday. And horray for park days! Always fun :)

Shannon said...

How fun that Lizzie is doing goodie bags for her class. I'm glad that she gets to have her birthday with her friends at school. Just barely. :)

I am super impressed by the service your ward has taken on. That is a LOT of food and a lot of people needed to help.

Glad you guys had a fun weekend and a good time at the park. Looks gorgeous!

Kate said...

I wouldn't dare call any primary pres wimpy! You're awesome :)

It's weird to me that people are still in school b/c I feel like we've been out for so long already. Happy summer vacation!

sara said...

I love the goodie bag idea! How fun. That picture of Rachel asleep in her crib cracks me up! I love it. Your girls are just too cute!!!