Jim and I celebrated our 9th anniversary this weekend with a little getaway!!! Nana came on Friday and stayed with the girls. We started our trip with "Iron Man 2" at the cheapie theater. It was very fun and I'm glad we caught it on the big screen instead of waiting for DVD. After the movie, we drove out to Simi Valley and checked into our hotel. We stayed at the Grand Vista, which was actually really nice. After checking out what there was to eat around the hotel, we decided that we really just wanted Wood Ranch, so we drove back to Moorpark (10minutes) and enjoyed a super yummy (and very filling) tri-tip dinner. Oh so good.
Target was next door, so we went to browse for a bit. Jim thought I was in the dollar spot and said he would meet me later. So I hit the clothing section hoping for some capris. I ended up with a pair of denim and a black pair and a top! Then Jim said he wanted to show me something. It was the $130 Buzz Lightyear toy that had over 100 sayings and moves, even some in Spanish. Yes, it was super cool. No, our two year old did not need it. But she really LOVES Toy Story right now. I knew my friend had already bought her a Buzz Lightyear and it was going to be perfect, but we did end up picking out something else for her.
Back at the hotel we went to check out the jacuzzi. The pool was big and beautiful, but the jacuzzi was small! So we went back to the room. Fortunately, we lucked out and found the latest Harry Potter on HBO. We were all excited to sleep in, forgetting that we would be in a hotel bed. The bed wasn't bad, but the pillows were awful. I woke up at 6:15!! I forced myself to go back to sleep until 8. Then we ordered room service!!! We probably should have shared one breakfast since we were both so full from dinner the night before. Oh well, it was still a very fun treat. (And I totally scored on the hotel deal and some half-price gift certificates, which felt great. We only ended up spending $65 on hotel and room service!)
We headed over to Khol's to do some shopping for Jim. It was pretty painful....for Jim. Whatever, he survived and I ended up with two new pairs of church shoes for under $20! We were going to stop at JCPenney also, but took a detour at Big 5 and found new tennis shoes for both of us. (It's been several years since I've had new tennis!) It was time to head home, but I just wasn't quite ready, so I convinced Jim to stop at Golden Spoon in Newbury Park as I tried to prolong our return. Eventually, we made it home to find all was well there.
I can't put into words how great it was to get away from it all and be just us, even for 24 hours. We both feel refreshed and ready to face the world together. The brother who spoke in sacrament today talked about covenants and said that in most of the romance languages covenant is translated as "alliance". In Brazil, your engagement ring is called "alliance" also. Jim and I feel like our alliance is stronger than ever now. Go Team Henshaw! I had considered just a big date night, but we had so much fun we're definitely going to have to have a getaway every year. We're already saving for our 10th anniversary next year....Mexican cruise!!
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
Hooray for a getaway! Ian and I always do one for our anniversary. There's just something about being together and focusing on just each other (instead of always on the kids first and each other second) that is so rejuvenating. I don't know if I can last until November before we do that. I will have to see if I can scope out a good hotel deal (share your secrets with me)! Sounds like you got some good shopping in too. Nice.
FUN!!! Happy Anniversary!! Glad you got to get away :)
Happy Alliance. . .I mean Anniversary to you both!! I'm glad you had a great time. Sounds like you quite a bit of shopping too. (Sounds like Dad and I!) Dad and I had our first Angel's game with the fun tickets. They lost in the 11th. . .barely enough time to do the fireworks. . .pheww! Then we had a small dinner party on Saturday. It was nice having people over to the house, though. Today I'm tired and going to start my cross-stitch projects for the HENSHAW GIRLS!!! Hopefully they'll be done for Christmas ;-) Have a wonderful week two of summer!
I love that you can face the world together now :) Happy Anniversary! Dana and I are right around the corner too!
Post a Comment