Monday felt like our first real day of summer. We got the TV turned off by 9 and started getting ready. The girls were all playing so nicely that I wanted to postpone our Costco trip, but we did have to go. Costco wasn't crowded, the girls were good as gold, and we got to have a fun lunch together! When we got home they picked up right where they left off playing. It helps that we have received a few new toys for birthdays/graduation. I love how they take the new and incorporate the old and it makes everything new!
While Rachel napped, Miriam explored the Disney princess website and Lizzie colored her new princess pages. All day, I was working on rotating laundry, getting dinner going, and trying to tidy up from the weekend. I woke Rachel up from her nap so we could go to the library for a puppet show. It was the kick-off event of their summer program. The program is geared for kids ages 5 and up, so Rachel was a little bored (plus it wasn't her best time of day for an activity) but the big girls LOVED it. We got ourselves signed up for the summer reading program and chose a couple books to check out.
By the time we got home, Daddy was home from work. I finally let Rachel watch a movie (she's obsessed with Toy Story) while I finished up the laundry and got dinner on the table. Our new chairs were delivered so we all sat nice and cozy at our table! After dinner, we cleaned up and had FHE. I have felt like FHE has been last priority for the last few months. I hadn't really planned anything for that evening, but luckily our chairs came in a big box that gave me a great idea. I typed up several different things that a happy family should do and printed them out in big, fun fonts. We talked a little bit about why it's important to have a happy, eternal family and then I asked them to see if they could come up with some of the words I had thought of.
No kidding, they came up with all but one of the words I did all on their own!!! First Miriam says, "Families should tidy and help pick up." 'Cleanliness' was one of my words. Lizzie said we should help each other: 'service' was another one. Daddy said 'prayer' and 'scripture study'. Miriam said 'forgiveness' and Lizzie said we should talk nicely to each other: 'kind words'. We also had 'family home evening' and 'fun'. As we came up with these things, we taped them on the box, then we got out the crayons and went to town. Daddy helped cut some windows and the girls took care of the decorating. It was so fun!
Tuesday morning, we also managed to get up and get going. (That is the hardest part for me.) Miriam was invited to go see a movie with a friend and then play at her house afterward. Jim decided to take the day off work and do the touch-up paint in the dining room. Yea! He got that done (it looks good) and then I took Lizzie and Rachel to a pool party for Lizzie's class. It was at one of her classmate's house and we had such a good time. I put Rachel in floaties for the first time and she had so much fun. Lizzie still wore her floaties, but I'm thinking after this session of swim lessons she'll be on her own. Both girls were very good and very polite.
On our way home from the party, we picked up Miriam. Rachel was asleep by the time we got home and I changed her back into her clothes while she was still mostly sleeping. While she took her nap, the big girls and I watched "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl". It was very cute and I quite enjoyed it. I could tell Lizzie was tired (she snuggled with me the whole time) but she was good. We had leftovers for dinner and then got everyone in the shower or bath. After her shower, Lizzie fell asleep on the sofa. As I called attention to her and was walking towards her to wake her up, Rachel got there ahead of me. But before she could even say anything or I could get there, she sneezed twice...in Lizzie's face. Ewww. What an awful way to wake up too! Anyway, they were all exhausted so we cut reading time short and just got them all in bed.
Today we are headed to the mall to do Lizzie and Rachel's birthday pictures. We haven't been to the mall in a long time, so it should be fun. Hopefully everyone cooperates! I'll post them as soon as I get them.




2 comments:
fun stuff...and 2:30? you've got nothing on me!!!
Wow. That sounds like a pretty perfect first few days of summer! I so remember pool parties. So fun! I'm impressed Rachel did so well with her floaties. I think Davin will be a water child, but unfortunately I am going to be a little restrictive of him this summer with his tubes and everything.
Anyway, I saw Kit Kittredge at the library and was wondering if it was any good. I might have to grab it next time. I saw the new photos! So cute! I love Lizzie's big girl attitude pictures. And Rachel's dress is just adorable. Can't wait to get some new pics in the mail!
Post a Comment